F5 - 573G boot issues

Danman101
Danman101 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hi all,

I've just purchased a 573G - 79L and it doesn't boot up every time.

When you press the power button - either from Hybernate or a full start, the Acer splash screen comes up and that's it. The computer does nothing. You have to hpress  and hold the power button down to turn it off, then again to turn it on and it starts perfectly.

Does anyone have this problem or thoughts about a fix?

The laptop is an i7, 16Gb Ram, 128Gb SSD (Boot) and a 1TB HDD. Running Win10 64bit

I'd appreciate any thoughts or suggestions

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

can you please post your BIOS version?

windows logo key + r

type

msinfo32

report BIOS/DATE version

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • doughjohn
    doughjohn Member Posts: 353 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

Hi

There are a coupla things associated with W10, and I assume that is your OS.

I made a shortcut link for my desktop as early W10 never wanted to shutdown cleanly, and the actual progam is C:\Windows\System32\ShutDown.exe, and there are options that can be added...

/?         Display help. This is the same as not typing any options.
        /i         Display the graphical user interface (GUI).
                   This must be the first option.
        /s         Shutdown the computer.
        /r         Full shutdown and restart the computer
        /t xxx     Set the time-out period before shutdown to xxx seconds.
                   The valid range is 0-315360000 (10 years), with a default of 30.
                   If the timeout period is greater than 0, the /f parameter is
                   implied.
        /f         Force running applications to close without forewarning users.

shutdown.exe /f /t 10  to give a 10 second delay to force a shutdown.

AND

The remark that restart isn't affected is something I contest.

Because it bothers me that you are turning off/shutting down by holding the power for 4 seconds, rather than letting W10 exit as gracefully as it can.

• Danman101

Tinkerer

Hi,

BIOS is: Insyde Corp Version 1.25, Date: 3/03/2017

SMBIOS Ver 3.0

Appreciate your help.

• Danman101

Tinkerer

Hi

I am running Win 10 indeed, but I'm not quite sure what you are suggesting?

I assume you are saying that the shutdown is at fault rahter than th restart. Have I got that right?

I've turned off the FastSart - no difference. Still get the Acer Splash screen and nothing else. The thing doesn't even get to the revolving 'wheel'. Just hangs on the splashscreen.

Let me know if you think it is the shutdown at fault and I'll give your shortcut a try.

Thanks for the post.

• doughjohn

Hi

Not explicitly, but as it is a Lo-Cost/No-Cost option for about 2 cycles of usage and then ignored for ever, as mine is.

Another possibility is that there is a problem with the POST and fast startup should be switched off.  This is in the BIOS, allowing for a full POST.

If it is software related then it is the boot loader, the Acer handover to Microsoft is problematic.

But please report back on any changes.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

if you press Alt+F10 at boot, are you able to enter windows recovery or it stays at Acer splash screen?

try also to enter BIOS at boot pressing F2 and then press F9 to load defaults and F10 to save and exit

can you please try to update BIOS when you are able to boot to windows desktop?

https://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/BIOS/BIOS/BIOS_Acer_1.27_A_A.zip?acerid=636340633704833163&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=ASPIRE&Step3=ASPIRE%20F5-573G&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6

just run the exe file and follow instructions.

if your laptop is still having the "stuck Acer logo" at boot, i would contact Acer support service or your seller.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Danman101

Tinkerer

Hi,

I've installed the new BIOS verson but it hasn't sloved the issue.

I've also reloaded BIOS defaults as you suggest and yes, I can get into the Windows recovery area.It's strange. I can 'restart' with no problem ,but if I close the lid or shutdown, it won't restart past the Acer splash screen, without me turning it of and on again!

Think it's time to return to the supplier!

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

• doughjohn

Hi

I have re-read the thread and realise I dont understand the sequence of events / problem.

There are quite a few permutations and I am lost as to which you have tried.

• dougc
    dougc Member Posts: 82 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

IF you can not return to your "supplier" for a full refund or factoryfresh unit .... and it sure sounds like a conflict with Acer (firmware),    try the 'Refresh' option process as written-up in this article quite well;  

https://www.pcmag.com/news/348679/how-clean-up-windows-10-with-the-refresh-windows-tool

You have nothing to loose but time !

Good Luck

D'

p.s. I used at least in one of the 4,  F5-573g-58xs units (to rid it of ACER bloatware) I tried out,  in my 'search' for a keeper...ref. http://community.acer.com/t5/E-F-V-and-M-Series-Laptops/Defective-Batt-gt-Acer-Aspire-F15-F5-573G-58XS/m-p/519826#M19761  

I would ah used on all 4 attempts, but realized why spend more time on excorising 'bloatware', until I found a "keeper" unit !!