ES1-132 cannot install other OS than Windows 10, BIOS options missing

Answers

• spektro37
    spektro37 Member Posts: 3 New User

To mount the EFI partition, you need to:

1. Install Ubuntu;

2. Boot using Ubuntu USB and select "Try without installing";

3. Launch Gparted to get the EFI partition address. In my case it's "/dev/mmcblk0p1";

4. Open the Terminal (ctrl + alt + T);

5. In the Terminal execute the following to create a directory in the "media" folder and to mount the EFI partition to that folder:

sudo mkdir /media/EFI
    sudo mount {replace_this_with_the_address_from_step_3} /media/EFI

In my case it would look like:

sudo mkdir /media/EFI
    sudo mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /media/EFI

That's it.

After that, you need to create the /EFI/Linux/ folder. This can be done with the following command:

sudo mkdir /media/EFI/EFI/Linux

When you will have the folder ready, you can copy all the existing files from the folder that was created during Ubuntu instalation. In my case, the default folder was /EFI/ubuntu/. To do so, you can use the following command:

sudo cp -R /media/EFI/EFI/ubuntu /media/EFI/EFI/Linux

I hope this helps.

• arayan
    arayan Member Posts: 2 New User

1a. could someone please explain what is the bootloader, 1b. where it is stored on the C drive ?

A. bootloader comes after the bios and is used to boot the operating system.  This is where the issue is on this computer.    / = root directory. a bit different with linux http://www.linfo.org/root_directory.html

2. if you use refind as a bootloader, what is the original bootloader that you are replacing ?

3. when you type

/media/EFI

is that basically C:/media/EFI ?

A. kind of but not really   - The root directory is the directory on Unix-like operating systems that contains all other directories and files on the system and which is designated by a forward slash ( / ).

4. is there any way to replace the bios on the machine. I have been in contact with people at acer, and they implied they have no intention of changing the bios and don't see this as a fault.  I can copy paste the conversation here. I know there are alternative bioses out there like coreboot, but has anyone tried or managed to successfully complete this ?   thankyou

• PetrPig
    PetrPig Member Posts: 1 New User

New BIOS 1.09

1.Support new MXIC25L64 bios flash part.

2.Support WMI serial number and UUID.

• gpyra
    gpyra Member Posts: 1 New User

Dear Acer,

Please make a "Legacy Boot" BIOS option available on Acer Aspire ES1-132 series laptops.

I don't like to have a separate partition for EFI on my disk.

Thank you!

• OneMan
    OneMan Member Posts: 2 New User
    i have a same problem of everyone here. 
    my aspire es1-132-CONU dont have also a legacy or uefi options on (boot tab).
    1. first i tried to set a password on superv.password then disable the secure boot on (boot tab). 
    2.then i enable the f12 boot on (security tab). then f10.

after try rebooting again it still show [no bootable device].

i tried to removed the hdd of my unit and put it on other unit then install there the os/win10. then after installing it. i put it back on. but it still shows the same problem. 

NOTE:
     i tried to install win10 on my unit. but checking the bios I didn't find my bootable flashdrive. it only shows the hdd of my laptop. 
    rebooting it i press f12 to go to boot manager. but it didn't show any bootable devices there. 

please help!  thanks in advace. 
  • OneMan
    OneMan Member Posts: 2 New User
    OneMan said:
    i have a same problem of everyone here. 
    my aspire es1-132-CONU dont have also a legacy or uefi options on (boot tab).
    1. first i tried to set a password on superv.password then disable the secure boot on (boot tab). then 
    disable the superv. password. 
    2.then i enable the f12 boot on (security tab). then f10.

after try rebooting again it still show [no bootable device].

i tried to removed the hdd of my unit and put it on other unit then install there the os/win10. then after installing it. i put it back on. but it still shows the same problem. 

NOTE:
     i tried to install win10 on my unit. but checking the bios I didn't find my bootable flashdrive. it only shows the hdd of my laptop. 
    rebooting it i press f12 to go to boot manager. but it didn't show any bootable devices there. 

please help!  thanks in advace. 

• Pandabear
    Pandabear Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi Guys. I would like to ask with the same problem but instead of installing linux or ubunto. 

I would like to change Endless linux to windows OS. How can i install that on my laptop? I brought it yesterday and i tried to boot using pendrive and also on CD but the Legacy option is missing on the boot menu. Please help guys thanks
  • vbn
    vbn Member Posts: 2 New User
    Install ubuntu 

for who comes to ask for help and does not receive it in this site, I will leave a simple solution, I walked through this site of Acer without help, for a problem created by them.
    I've been days, weeks until trying to find out how to install and use Ubuntu 16.04 lts, ​​and I think I managed to solve my problem, I hope it serves you as well, within the possible.
    First, install mkusb.
    Second, get a high capacity micro pen drive in my case I use a sandisk nano micro 128gb
    Third, with gparted, create a 32 fat partition, with about 100 mb and another using the rest of the ext4 space.
    Fourth, use mkusb to install (the iso refind) on the fat 32 100mb partition.
    Fifth, use mkusb to create an installation pen, with ubuntu 16.04 lts, ​​do not use unetbootin, because this program has a bug that gives problems in some debian distros.
    After the installation pen is created, insert it into the usb port and start a live session, enter gparted, and delete everything on the disk (32gb emmc) mmcblábláblá ...
    Shutdown, and restart the menu to install ubuntu, distro or whatever, go configuring and when it appears on the board erase everything and install ubuntu 16.04 lts .... is what you have to choose.
    After the installation pen is created, insert it into the usb port and start a live session, enter gparted, and delete everything on the disk (32gb emmc) mmcblábláblá ...
    After this reboot the system, remove the pen with the distro, enter the other pen nano where they installed (refind), load the power button, a refind menu appears, with two boot options, choose any one, and will start ubuntu 16.04 lts on the internal emmc drive.
    As the space is little on the internal drive, the pen partition (ext4) will be to store date.
    Create the folders downloads, video ... etc in the ext4 partition of the pen drive, and trim these folders from the location (home) replacing them with shortcuts.

I hope it helps you ...
  • vbn
    vbn Member Posts: 2 New User
    ps ...........

i forgot to tell, need secure boot desabled.

• Robert0818
    Robert0818 Member Posts: 1 New User
    A mi no me muestra boot mode para elegir la opción legacy para instalar con cd' (DVD) QUE HAGO YO HAY 
    Mi pc es aspire ES1-432
  • postingterus168
    postingterus168 Member Posts: 2 New User

I am still waiting my laptop. (Acer Aspire ES1-132-P3MK)

After I get it, I try to install ubuntu 16.10, and I will write my expreiences to you Capsa Susun.

• postingterus168
    postingterus168 Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited April 2018

I am still waiting my laptop. (Acer Aspire ES1-132-P3MK)

After I get it, I try to install ubuntu 16.10, and I will write my expreiences to you.

• eddiebelfast
    eddiebelfast Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
    I have the same model but with the eMMC drive. When I first got it I couldn't get it to change to legacy mode.  I eventually got it to change but it required TWO changes on two different screens.
    Go the Security tab and set the Supervisors password, then got to the Boot tab and set the secure boot to disabled.
    Make sure you write down the password and keep it safe. I wrote mine on a piece of paper and taped it to the bottom of the comp.
  • mr66p
    mr66p Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited April 2018
    For ubuntu:
    solution by fpl2 on ubuntuforums

The "refind" solution works on my ES1-132 *****.
    BIOS 1.15., hdd replaced with ssd, Supervisor password set ( not sure if any of this matters but you`ll need Windows to update your BIOS so do it if you can - thank Acer for this too)

It goes like this:
    - enable secure boot
    - install ubuntu - if secure boot is not enabled the installation won`t create EFI partition
    - after install the ubuntu won`t boot
    - disable secure boot - (not sure if this is needed but I`ve done so many things that this is how it was left on my successful run )
    - boot from the flash drive using "try ubuntu..."
    - mount the efi partition somewhere  - in my case /mnt/efissd
    - download and extract the "refind" package somewhere else
    - go to /mnt/efissd/EFI/
    - create Microsoft/Boot dir - endresult should be /mnt/efissd/EFI/Microsoft/Boot
    - copy refind_x64.efi from "refind" package to EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
    - reboot

Thanks to all the good people who found this solution in this and other threads

• The_LoudSpeaker
    The_LoudSpeaker Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

spektro37 said:

To mount the EFI partition, you need to:

1. Install Ubuntu;

2. Boot using Ubuntu USB and select "Try without installing";

3. Launch Gparted to get the EFI partition address. In my case it's "/dev/mmcblk0p1";

4. Open the Terminal (ctrl + alt + T);

5. In the Terminal execute the following to create a directory in the "media" folder and to mount the EFI partition to that folder:

sudo mkdir /media/EFI
    sudo mount {replace_this_with_the_address_from_step_3} /media/EFI

In my case it would look like:

sudo mkdir /media/EFI
    sudo mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /media/EFI

That's it.

After that, you need to create the /EFI/Linux/ folder. This can be done with the following command:

sudo mkdir /media/EFI/EFI/Linux

When you will have the folder ready, you can copy all the existing files from the folder that was created during Ubuntu instalation. In my case, the default folder was /EFI/ubuntu/. To do so, you can use the following command:

sudo cp -R /media/EFI/EFI/ubuntu /media/EFI/EFI/Linux

I hope this helps.

Hii I have tried this but it's not working. Any Suggestions?
  • ConradVonMaur0156
    ConradVonMaur0156 Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

does this apply with linux mint? mine installed fine with pre installed windows 10 after restart but no grub loader popping out,. it just boots directly to windows 10., i have already disabled secured boot, and set supervisor password
  • RodrigValeri9
    RodrigValeri9 Member Posts: 3 New User
    I have the same model but with the eMMC drive. When I first got it I couldn't get it to change to legacy mode.  I eventually got it to change but it required TWO changes on two different screens.
    Go the Security tab and set the Supervisors password, then got to the Boot tab and set the secure boot to disabled.
    Make sure you write down the password and keep it safe. I wrote mine on a piece of paper and taped it to the bottom of the comp.
    How you changed to Legacy?I Want to install Windows 7 on mine
  • dzelectron
    dzelectron Member Posts: 0 Newbie
    If anyone has faced the same issue and the solution by spektro37 didn't work - the last command should  actually look like this:
    sudo cp -R /media/EFI/EFI/ubuntu/* /media/EFI/EFI/Linux
    Otherwise, instead of the content of the folder, you're copying the folder itself. With this little remark, the solution worked for me perfectly, the Linux option appeared in the boot menu, called with F12.
  • kenng
    kenng Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited November 2019
    For me, the answer from this link. Basically

// first you have to boot using liveCD
    // open the gparted, find out the EFI partition (e.g. my EFI is on /dev/sda2)
    // create a directory and mount it
    sudo su
    // replace the 2 with your efi partition (e.g. /dev/sdax)
    mkdir /dev/sda2 /media/sda2

cd /media/sda2/EFI
    // not sure if your "BOOT" directory folder name is in all capital, 
    // for mine it's "Boot" so i follow the same folder name
    mv BOOT BOOT_bak
    cp -R ubuntu BOOT
    cd BOOT
    mv shimx64.efi bootx64.efi

after that just reboot. 
    you may want to check out this youtube video as well, if above does not fix your problem.

• yanglifu90
    yanglifu90 Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited April 2020
    For Fedora:
    su
    mount /dev/mmcblk1p1 /media && cd /media 
    mkdir Microsoft && cd Microsoft 
    mkdir Boot && cd Boot 
    cp -r /media/EFI/fedora/* . 
    mv shim.efi bootmgfw.efi