E5-722G

tullman5
tullman5 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Lately I have been having a problem where the laptop just stops responding. I can't close windows, I can't open windows, I can't do a graceful powerdown, nothing. The only way to get it going again is to do a hard power down. This happens at least one a day and it doesn't matter what I'm doing although |I admit that I am accessing the Internet. I have updated every driver.

Answers

• Trukntigger
    Trukntigger Member Posts: 256 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

Several things can cause this. First I suggest running a system monitor to see where/if system resources are maxxed out like CPU load at 100%, hard drive etc. Check for malware, not virus check- try malwarebytes and run that. Run system diagnostics on hard drive, maybe close to failing. That's for starters. Results of this stuff give next step- like driver issue if system load maxed out. 

• tullman5
    tullman5 Member Posts: 4 New User

Hi and thanks for your reply. I cannot check if something is maxxed out since I cannot open resource monitor. Nothing can be opened or closed when this happens. Secondly, I have run every possible diagnostic there is and nothing ever shows up. Third, I use Windows Defender and it never reports a problem. FOurth, I keep everything updated daily. By the way, there is no pre-indication that the thing is going to fail - it just stops.