BIOS and Windows don't see additional RAM, CPU-Z and Speccy do - Aspire V5-573PG

sheltonh
sheltonh Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Howdy Acer community,

I've got a conundrum regarding an Aspire V5-573PG. Since it's getting on in years (read: out of warranty) but is otherwise a good work/mild gaming laptop, I decided to boost the RAM from 8GB to 12GB. This model's listed maximum RAM is 12GB, since 4GB is soldered to the motherboard and there is one socket for a SODIMM. It has been upgraded to Windows 10 Home with no other driver or hardware problems.

Originally, I bought an 8GB Crucial DDR3L (1.35 V) 1600 MHz stick. This is the same speed and voltage as the OEM SK Hynix stick that's originally included. Howevever, when I installed it, it wasn't recognized by either the BIOS or Windows. After upgrading the BIOS to the latest version and some troubleshooting (cleaning the socket, making sure maximum memory wasn't enabled in windows, etc), I figured the stick was a dud and returned it.

In this process, I also noticed that the RAM socket has "1.5 V" printed on it, so decided to try a slower (1333 MHz Corsair value-ram) 1.5V stick to see if there was a difference, but the same problem occurs. This time, I decided to download CPU-Z and Speccy to generate reports. Interestingly, the RAM is recognized by both programs but isn't seen by the BIOS or Windows. I know both CPU-Z and Speccy just look at the SPD info, but it makes me think that somehow this can be solved!

Important note: the socket isn't dead - I can put the OEM 4GB stick back in, and it's recognized without any issues.

TLDR of things I've tried:

-"Maximum memory" in Windows is not enabled. Yes, it is 64-bit.

-Upgrading the BIOS (current ver: InsydeH20 2.30) to the most recent provided by Acer.

-Unlocked the advanced configuration in the BIOS (Fn+Tab method) and spent about two days playing around with chipset/CPU settings. Changing XMP profile settings, memory timings, and base memory frequency don't help.

-The BIOS doesn't seem to have a memory hole remapping option. Maybe it's under another name?

-I've heard things about bent CPU pins causing issues, but I think the CPU is soldered to the motherboard anyway.

I might be able to borrow another laptop to test the Corsair stick, but don't have that information at the moment.

Anyone able to shed some insight?

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,077 Trailblazer

Hi,

I think you should have bought the memory sticks especially made for Acer, the original part numbers are given by Laurent_14 in this thread:http://community.acer.com/t5/Nitro-and-Aspire-Gaming/Acer-aspire-v5-573g-RAM/td-p/365054

• sheltonh

Thanks, I'll give it a shot and post back. Is there any reason that these Kingston sticks would work, and the Crucial RAM wouldn't? As far as I can tell, they're the same size/voltage/speed.

• brummyfan2

Hi,

No, I don't know any reason but I suspect that it should be related to working alongside the soldered memory.

• doughjohn
    doughjohn Member Posts: 353 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

Hi

Semantics; -Memory -DDR3L -8 GB (standard) --Up to 12 GB (maximum)

What is entailed in achieving the UPTO I don't yet know.

It may be linked to being dual channel mode.

Maybe the extra 4 Gb is via an SD card, who knows?

But the 2 x 4 Gb modules, should in my opinion, be a matching pair.

• sheltonh

Howdy,

Yeah, I noticed the memory requirements (1.35 DDR3L, up to 12 GB) before I bought any extra RAM. The 4 GB of base memory is soldered into the motherboard - the chips are visible if you take the bottom plate off. But I can't tell by looking at the chips what speed and voltage it is.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a dual channel problem needing matched memory between the soldered and removable RAM, but then why would Acer say that you can put an 8 GB stick in?

• brummyfan2

sheltonh wrote:

Howdy,

Yeah, I noticed the memory requirements (1.35 DDR3L, up to 12 GB) before I bought any extra RAM. The 4 GB of base memory is soldered into the motherboard - the chips are visible if you take the bottom plate off. But I can't tell by looking at the chips what speed and voltage it is.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a dual channel problem needing matched memory between the soldered and removable RAM, but then why would Acer say that you can put an 8 GB stick in?

Hi,

Install CPU-z, go to SPD tab and get the specs of the soldered RAM.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

Capture.JPG