Aspire E5-571P - win 8.1, 64-bit - "graphics driver has stopped and recovered"

Options
AndriaD
AndriaD Member Posts: 9 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

The error above has been going on for a couple months now; the screens will flicker, flicker, sometimes Firefox will crash completely, and I get the "graphics driver has stopped and recovered" error msg.  I've tried a number of things to try and fix this, and I'm just at my wits' end, because nothing is working to keep this error from happening.

I tried uninstalling the driver; it then just loaded "Microsoft basic" driver, which meant I couldn't run 2 screens, the laptop's built-in plus my external monitor, so I had to roll back to make it use the Intel HD Family driver again.

I tried doing the registry edit, adding the "TdrDelay" with a value of 8, to the "Qword 64-bit" entry of Graphics Driver in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/Control.  It made no difference, I still get the error.

I tried downloading a newer driver from Acer; even though I specified win 8.1 in the search for drivers, when I tried to install the driver, my system informed me that the driver was not for my version of Windows, so it would not install.  What I have installed right now is 10.18.10.3496; I tried installing VGA_Intel_10.18.14.4062_W81x64_A -- which, as you can see, shows that it IS for 64-bit Win 8.1, but my system thought it was the wrong version, or something.

I've gone thru the "performance" settings in Advanced Settings of my machine, and turned off all the display bells and whistles except for smoothing screen fonts and showing thumbnails rather than icons -- all the other fancy settings are off.  

I still get the error, though my system is showing over 50% available memory -- I got this machine fully loaded, 16GB, when I bought it, so it's got over 8GB free RAM, even when throwing this error.

In looking thru the "events" of the graphics driver, it seems to have been installed on 6/26/17 (though I got this machine in 2015), so that must have been a system update, and that's approximately when this error started happening.  I've considered trying to roll the system back to pre-6/26, but I fear that it will continue to give me updates dated from 6/26 to the present, so it wouldn't be a permanent fix.

Can anyone help me figure out how to stop this annoying error?

Thx,

Andria

Best Answer

• AndriaD
    AndriaD Member Posts: 9 New User
    Answer ✓
    Options

Ok, this has gotten even more confusing, if that's possible.  Before running the .exe file, as directed, I uninstalled the old driver, 10.18.10.3496, and then restarted, as the computer directed.  I was surprised when it first came back up to see that it was using both of my screens, as when I tried uninstalling it before, it just used the "Microsoft Basic" driver and only used the laptop's built-in screen, not the external at all.

So, I investigated in Device manager, and discovered that a newer Intel driver had been installed, this one "10.18.14.4264".  Which I don't have anywhere on my computer, so it evidently went and found it "out there" somewhere -- weird, since everytime I tried to "updated driver", it told me that my current driver was up to date.

So, today I tried to run the .exe that I had downloaded yesterday, to see if it would possibly give me a driver even more up to date than the 10.18.14.4264.  However, it told me that my PC did not support the minimum requirements to run the software to install a new driver.  So that solution is apparently out.

At this point, I'm not really sure what to do, or if I even need to do anything.  I have not seen the "flicker-flicker-error msg" since I uninstalled the old driver and then found the newer Intel driver installed, but I have not spent a great deal of time at the PC either, thx to cooking dinner last night and spending some time binge-watching Lucifer with my son.  It's possible that the newer driver has corrected the problem, but right now, I can't say for sure.  I really hope the problem is fixed, because I am ready to tear out my hair over this thing.

Andria

Answers