Aspire E15 Elan touchpad intermittently stuck on click and drag

supersadie
supersadie Member Posts: 9 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hi

I have an intermittent problem with the touchpad on my Acer laptop running Win10. It switches from tap to click to click and drag. This is often preceeded by 'ghost' images of various dialog boxes which appear on screen and are permanent. I'm thinking it's a software error as when I reboot the computer it's fine again. Tap to click is enabled in settings and switching it off and on again has no effect.

I see I'm not alone with this problem, but I've seen it on Dell laptops. Could it be a Win10 problem?

I have heard it's possible to restart the touchpad without rebooting the laptop. Does anyone know how to do this? All help gratefully received.

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,077 Trailblazer

Hi,

Go to Device manager, expand Mice and other pointing devices, highlight the touchpad and right click, go to Properties, uninstall the driver and reboot to let Windows install the driver. Can you post the expanded snip like my picture and let us know the driver version please.

Capture.JPG

• supersadie

Thanks. Driver is up to date.

I can't post a screenshot...the device manager shows Elan I2C Filter Driver and HID Compliant Mouse

The driver version is from 24/03/2016 and is 13.6.5.2

Does this help?

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,077 Trailblazer

Hi,

Could you please post the full name of the model, it should be E5-xxxx,

In the meantime, try disbling Pinch to zoom insettings.

Go to settings, Devices, scroll down, untick the box for Pinch to zoom.

Capture.JPG

• supersadie

Hi there

It's an E5-511-C46Y

I will turn off pinch to zoom!

Thanks

• supersadie

Ok, so I turned off pinch to zoom and it was all going so well.

Now this evening it has suddenly gone into click and drag mode while I was working. I tapped an icon and the app didn't open, but the icon moved along the toolbar with my cursor as though I had held down click and drag.

Help?