upg to 3 TB SGT hard drive from WD 1.5 TB drive on Veriton M430 system w/ Win7-64 bit

kievhiker
kievhiker Member Posts: 1 New User

I backed up a system image to a 3 TB LaCie external hard drive. The 1.5 TB boot drive is in SATA RAID mode in the bios. 

When I do the restore, I have to change the BIOS to SATA AHCI mode to find the image on the LaCIE drive, and also load the LaCie drivers. I can then do the restore to the 3 TB drive. When attempting to boot the 3 TB drive, it always fails to boot. All choices in BIOS for SATA (IDE, RAID and AHCI) fail to get it to boot. 

I attempted to use SEAGATE Disc Wizard, but although the SEAGATE disc Wizard allows me to partition and format the 3TB drive with NTFS, it greys out the 3 TB drive when I attempt to either clone the 1.5 TB to the 3 TB drive, and also when I attempt to restore the system image from the LaCIE drive. The Image itself is about 800 GB. 

I also attempted attempted to load the latest INTEL RST driver, but found there was no IDE ATA/ATAPI setting loaded in the Device Manager to update. That was recommended in the Seagate Disk Wizard software. 

The Verizton M430 motherboard does not support UEFI Bios, only MBR Legacy BIOS. 

So do I need a new ACER mothboard that supports UEFI BIOS to get my new 3 TB drive to boot properly?

Answers

• Blayn-Acer
    Blayn-Acer Administrator Posts: 2,355 Community Administrator

I am not certain why the 3TB hdd would not be recognized. I checked my documentation, and I see the largest hard drive we tested and qualified for this system was 2TB, so I can't guarantee the system will support a 3TB hdd. Unfortunately, I don't really have any suggestions to try.

This discussion has been closed.