Installing Second Hard Drive

TheHarrington
TheHarrington Member Posts: 2 New User

Just purchased an Aspire ATC-605-UR13.  Also purchased second hard drive to install before I get it up and running.  Problem is, I see no way of doing so at least not like I am used to in terms of expansion slots.  Am I missing something?  Can someone point me in the direction for an FAQ or How To regarding this process?

Thanks. 

Answers

• Ryanrr
    Ryanrr Member Posts: 831 Practitioner WiFi Icon

TheHarrington,

I want to apologize for the delayed response as I was researching your question. I found that this desktop does not have a slot or bay to support a second hard drive.

• TheHarrington
    TheHarrington Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks for the response but could you or anyone at Acer explain to me how it came to be that Acer developed a compter that "does not have a slot or bay to support a second hard drive?"  What are we supposed to do with that empty SATA slot?  With all due respect, whoever made this decision should be tossed into the street for having no clue about computers and what end users of these products want.

• Ryanrr
    Ryanrr Member Posts: 831 Practitioner WiFi Icon

TheHarrington,

We appreciate your feedback and understand your concern, however the product was not designed to accomadate a second hard drive and helps keep cost down.

• jeloweryii
    jeloweryii Member Posts: 1 New User

Good afternoon,

I too recently purchased the Aspire ATC-605-UR13 DT.SRQAA.010 with the hopes of adding a second hard drive.  I even looked at the product page at http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/DT.SRQAA.010 where it clearly states:

1TB hard drive w/ HDD expansion media bay

Could you kindly explain what this statement means if not that there is the capacity to expand with a second hard drive?

I do like the new computer so I do not wish to return it, but I feel this is VERY misleading, if not outright deceitful to make a claim such as the one above on the product page that is not accurate.

Thank you for you attention and I will await your response.

Regards,

jeloweryii

• florida
    florida Member Posts: 1 New User

I expected the same thing... or at lease a smaller box, what is the need if there is no expansion available.

Can I be kindly directed to the motherboard diagram for the Asprire TC 605 by tech support? 

I think I see a second SATA port on the motherboard right below the SATA port where the installed hard drive is plugged in, but would prefer not to root around with my fingers when a schematic might be somewhere from Acer. 

It is clear there is no secured location in the case for a second hard drive so I believe that is what Tech Support is talking about when they say "no second hard drive"  Clearly enough power in the power supply for a second drive from the SOLD spec sheet, but have not verified on the name plate.  I have not taken a look in the BIOS whether the BIOS supports a second hard drive.

• flamman500
    flamman500 Member Posts: 2 New User

I just put a second hard drive into my Acer TC 605. it will fit above the installed 1TB HD. There is one hole that is perfect for the second hole you need to make a metal tab to hold it. I took it off the HP cage that the old HD was in. you can always drill a few holes if you want 4 screws to hold it. it os OK with 2. There is one power lead and one SATA port. Just connect it all up and it will work

2014-11-29 12.52.55.jpg

• flamman500
    flamman500 Member Posts: 2 New User

Check out my message below yours

• Goos
    Goos Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi 

I am having the same problem can i use a bracket for holding the hd in my pc ? And where do i have to put this

Goos Mante