GPU upgrade issue with M3985

ztk863
ztk863 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

I have been attempting to put a GTX 770 into this Aspire M3985-- I have upgraded the PSU to a 650w with no issues (Computer works without the card and with the PSU) however when the card is put in I run into problems.

If I put the card in the system and plug my monitor into it, the computer gets to the Acer BIOS screen... and that's about it. After that I get roughly 4 beeps at 20 second intervals, and the screen then goes black with a flashing underscore and no more beeps. If i attempt to access the BIOS the screen just goes black.

If I have the card in the system and attempt to plug my monitor into the ONBOARD GRAPHICS... I get a BIOS error code. 1 long beep and 2 short ones. From what I know this is a video card error. The same applies when nothing is plugged into either the card or the onboard. 

When the card is removed, the problems stop.

What I'm led to believe here is that either:
1. The motherboard is not compatible with the card (this really should not be an issue with a computer that is a year old... if it is, that is quite rediculous.)

2. The motherboard BIOS is having problems working with the card... a simple update to the bios should fix that...but as far as I can see motherboard updates for this computer have been neglected since BEFORE this card was released, which explains alot.

3. The Video Cards BIOS is the problem. I find this one hard to believe however. The card has been updated in a different computer. The card works fine, and the BIOS is at its latest revision.

Help troubleshooting this problem would be appriciated so I can decide what I'm going to do with this card.

Thanks.

Best Answer

• ztk863
    Answer ✓

Just thought I'd let you know that I solved the problem by changing the motherboard.

Answers

• akme
    akme Member Posts: 2 New User

I am also having this issue (my gpu is a 760). Same issues occurring.

• ztk863
    Answer ✓

Just thought I'd let you know that I solved the problem by changing the motherboard.

• akme
    akme Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks. I'm having EVGA replace my 700 series with a 600 series (they sent me a 700 series as a replacement). I found very few instances of this question being asked but did finally find the issue was a motherboard compatibility issue.

• MadAcorUser
    MadAcorUser Member Posts: 1 New User

Well im also a owner of a Acer m3985!

i just spend last money on a upgrade for my gpu...

Original is it a Nvidea gt620 and now i bought a msi gt740.

after carefully installing the gpu and pluging the computer in.

i get this ACER screen and then i get ... nothing.

it's just stays on this screen and then it turns black after 1min +/-

i really wanna hear a acer developer/costumers service telling me why this occurs...

I always had acer laptop, cell phone, and desktop pc...

but now i'm kinda starting to dislike Acer.

I really hope someone of acer comes with an explanation for this.