Aspire M3970 BIOS Write Protected - How to flash updated BIOS?

psk31
psk31 Member Posts: 2 New User

I have been trying to perform a BIOS update on my year old Aspire 3970 without success.
Running the Acer provided DOS flash utility "BIOS_DOS.bat from a bootable USB stick,
I keep running into the "BIOS is Write-Protected" error when attempting to flash the lastest ROM "P03-A3L.ROM" (for linux systems). How do I overcome this write protect issue? I've tried changing the "bios wt protect" and "force write" straps on the mother board wi th no effect. As this old bios currently on the board has no way to disable uefi (in boot settings) I am unable to boot any live linux OS (Mint 14 for e.g.) from the USB.
Help.

Answers

• psk31
    psk31 Member Posts: 2 New User

Just a word of warning for those using a Aspire 3970 desktop with a locked Mother Board (BIOS Write-Protected). ACER will NOT provide any assistance in so far as providing the necessary documentation to properly unlock and update the BIOS (which is currently published on the downloads/driver page).

BE WARNED.

• tom85
    tom85 Member Posts: 257 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

Hello.

Give me your motherboard model (you can use somethink like AIDA64 or everest), and than i can check how to unlock write-protection.

This discussion has been closed.