Acer XC-605 doesn't work with VGA monitor

atomos33
atomos33 Member Posts: 2 New User

I've just bought it, SNID is *****. I may have made a mistake, as I've bought it without a new monitor, thinking the old one I have would work.

My monitor is a HP w2007v with a VGA port. As there's a VGA port in the back of the Acer tower, I thought there shouldn't be a problem, but there is. My monitor tells me it doesn't get any signal from the computer. Do I have to get a new HDMI monitor, or would it work with a HDMI to VGA adapter?

If I have to buy a new monitor, what's best to connect it to the computer? The short install sheet I have says I can use DVI, VGA or HDMI, all alike, but that's not the case. I shall add there was a small cap on the VGA port of the computer, but it wasn't written on the box that I couldn't use it. I thought this was a protection for transport. Then, why is there a VGA port if I can't use it?

[edited for privacy]

Best Answer

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator
    Answer ✓

So, I don't know much about the HP monitor, but I hope I can help explain what you're looking at.

I've attached an image of the back of a AXC-605, there may be some slight differences, but overall it should look familiar.

Let me start by explaining what the VGA port is for on this sytem. Almost every desktop mainboard has a VGA port accessible. This is because video is a requirement for the P.O.S.T. process. The reason it's not usable is because the unit has a dedicated video card that is more powerful and the system is configured to use this dedicated card and not cause a conflict with the onboard VGA port. Is it possible to the use the VGA port? Probably, but you'd lose a lot of performance with the sytem.

The options in the picture are highlight in slot 13, there is HDMI and DVI. The best way to connect a VGA monitor would be with DVI to VGA connector. Those are roughly 3-5$ in the States.

Hope this helps,
    Cory

Answers

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator
    Answer ✓

So, I don't know much about the HP monitor, but I hope I can help explain what you're looking at.

I've attached an image of the back of a AXC-605, there may be some slight differences, but overall it should look familiar.

Let me start by explaining what the VGA port is for on this sytem. Almost every desktop mainboard has a VGA port accessible. This is because video is a requirement for the P.O.S.T. process. The reason it's not usable is because the unit has a dedicated video card that is more powerful and the system is configured to use this dedicated card and not cause a conflict with the onboard VGA port. Is it possible to the use the VGA port? Probably, but you'd lose a lot of performance with the sytem.

The options in the picture are highlight in slot 13, there is HDMI and DVI. The best way to connect a VGA monitor would be with DVI to VGA connector. Those are roughly 3-5$ in the States.

Hope this helps,
    Cory

• atomos33
    atomos33 Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks for this quick answer!

I'll be looking for a DVI to VGA adapter, and I'll also check the prices for a new monitor. My only complaint is that the saleswoman, or the box should tell that the computer is not made to work with a VGA connection for the monitor.

Thanks again.

• BobJAX
    BobJAX Member Posts: 12 New User

Acer should provide a real VGA port. Just a cheap shortcut. Like the USB ports being used up by the mouse and keyboard. Charge me $2 for another USB port. Charge me $5 for a VGA port and don't make me to have to buy another monitor and adapters. You should include an adapter and raise the price a dollar.

• chriszou
    chriszou Member Posts: 5 New User

Hey, sorry to bother you. Do you know XC-605 can connect to two monitor. One from VGA and one from DVI. Thank you very much in advance.

• BeeSee
    BeeSee Member Posts: 26

Tinkerer

I am not sure why some are having problems with the VGA connection. I hooked up my XC-605 with my old VGA HP17e onto the computer VGA port and it works fine. I have since replaced it with a new 24" LG HDMI monitor, which works even better Smiley Happy

This discussion has been closed.