Acer TC 605 BIOS update Two issues...

Options
ZundapMan
ZundapMan Member Posts: 87 Die Hard WiFi Icon

I've recently gotten around to dealing with my wife's TC 605 which came to us from BrowBox, a refurb reseller for Acer in the US.  There is a later version of the BIOS for this unit on the web site, but I have not yet found user/technician oriented documentation on upgrading the BIOS to the current release without "trashing" the existing system configuration. 

I have a third party System backup on a drive attached to my router which I created in preparation just in case... but when I tested the boot CD the software created for me using WINPE, the program comes up without recognizing either the keyboard or the mouse which in my case are USB attached.  Obviously I do not want to attempt a BIOS update without complete and tested ability to restore everything, so...

Does the system "come with" a way to create a restore CD that I can add the Backup software to?  That way I can boot with keyboard and mouse, then start the backup software which can handle the restore if needed.

Note:  I do not want to have to go back to "ground zero" and set up the system again, there are way too many things that Microsoft has issued for my version of Windows 7 Home Premium since the "build" that is stored on the hidden partition on my hard disk.

Are there instructions for technicians on the web site regarding "flashing" the system BIOS under Windows 7?

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

if the system has the original Acer installation, search for Acer erecovery software, this will help you create a backup of your installation.

by the way, i really doubt that a BIOS update can screw your system in a bad way, you can't even boot your current windows installation.

you can always use partition wizard bootable CD, to clone the whole HDD to another or just the system partition:

http://www.partitionwizard.com/partition-wizard-bootable-cd.html

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

Also, instructions on creating backup system image (and a repair disk):

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/4241/how-to-create-a-system-image-in-windows-7/

The best course of action would be to go in to your BIOS settings before you update the BIOS.  Get a pencil and a piece of paper and write down all of the BIOS settings (before you flash).

As far as the BIOS update instructions....they seemed pretty easy to me.  Just read the PDF instructions.  They do require beginner DOS skills such as changing the directory (cd). But since you're a technician, I'm sure that would be no problem for you.

Also, before you flash the BIOS, double check if your system is setup as UEFI/GPT or legacy MBR....so that you know...in case you ever had to troubleshoot.

Edit: Also make note of your current BIOS version before your update.  (The BIOS version that came on your computer when you got it).

• ZundapMan
    ZundapMan Member Posts: 87 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Options

People are misreading my "long" post...I can do what is suggested, but I'm really asking what do I have to do to use a specific piece of backup software I've adopted for all of my systems... This machine when booted with the CD made using that specific backup software system, does not recognize the keyboard and mouse attached to it.  What is interesting is that another older Acer Aspire Z3731-UR21P that uses wireless keyboard and mouse boots just fine...  The TC 605 keyboard and mouse are "wired" original parts and they don't work!

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

I guess you could update the BIOS to see if that fixes your keyboard/mouse problem during third party recovery.  I use Microsoft Windows backup/recovery/restore for my TC-605s and don't have keyboard/mouse problems.  But then again, I use latest BIOS.

I'm using windows 8.1 for both TC-605s.  I just use the easy method for system image backup.  It took me less than a minute to set up each computer for scheduled system image backup.  But I cheated and used copy/paste from the link below.  I did have to change the target backup drive letter though.  Smiley Wink

I guess if a BIOS update doesn't fix your problem, you might have to contact your third party software supplier or switch to an easier, more reliable method.

http://pureinfotech.com/2013/10/24/schedule-windows-81-system-image-backup/

I can't quite remember how things work in Windows 7.  Seems like windows 7 ultimate and windows 7 pro make scheduled system image backup easy, but the other versions of win7...not so much.

Hopefully windows 10 will make it easy for us to use scheduled system image backup.