intermittent color saturation on C910 Chromebook (has stopped acting intermittent now)

bnorml
bnorml Member Posts: 1 New User

I got this Chromebook from my son when my Windows computer was hit by the Crypowall ransomware. I've straightened out that problem, but had to lose all my files that were encrypted and I was unable to recover them. Anyway, the last 4 or 5 days, I've had an intermittent display problem, where the red color becomes saturated/dominent. It is very much like when I worked on video arcade games with CRT monitors, a transister in one of the Red, Green or Blue drive circuits on the neck board, would start failing and that color would become saturated in display. I removed the bottom of CB case and found the main connector for display and tried to find a possible problem in that area and the rest of the motherboard, but, was unable to induce any intermittent changes. The problem has stopped being intermittent, pretty much now and the red has stayed after numerous Shut Downs and Power Ups. I'm pretty much ruling out the actual display, but, I'm assuming there is no display circuitry between the display connector on motherboard and the display panel. Apple iPhones do have an embedded circuit mounted on the LCD ribbon cable, but, I haven't anything like that on laptop displays I've replaced.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

I'd look at a broken or partially broken wire in the cable between the motherobard and display. Failing that it's pretty much got to be a motherboard issue. Smiley Sad

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.