hijacked chromebook 15

duckteach
duckteach Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I bought a chromebook for my 86 year old mother thinking it would be easy for her.  Last month a pop-up appeared that said she had a virus and needed to call a number.  She did and gave out her credit card number.  Company is non-existant- she called the next day.  Contacted credit card company.  Fast forward I did a powerwash of computer at xmas.  Pop-up just re-appeared today (same one) and I tried to have her do a hard restart but the computer would not respond.  Trying to do this long-distance.  I live an hour away from her.  She called comcast (her cable provider ) they could not help her.  I did read about trying to take the battery out but I she can't tell where the battery is.  Any advice would be appreciated.  

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer

Pop-up is likely only showing up when she tries to open the malicious site, but since it's remembering her open tabs, it comes back each time she boots. You'll need to help her get all the tabs closed and then power cycle.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.