Want to upgrade Acer Chromebook C710-2055 from 4GB to 8GB - Will it address it?

tugbug
tugbug Member Posts: 4 New User

Considering upgrading my Acer Chromebook C710-2055, which currently has the original 4GB of RAM, with 8GB (2 X 4GB) of Kingston Value RAM 1333MHz PC-10600 Non-ECC CL9 SR X8. I have two questions:

1. Will the C710-2055 address 8GB of RAM?

2. I arrived at the RAM specification above by referencing the existing RAM modules. Are there any other factors to consider - in other words, will the above RAM specification work - am I missing anything?

Thanks!

Best Answer

• tugbug
    Answer ✓

Well, I've decided to go ahead with it - from little drips & drabs of information I've picked up here and there as I've searched for guidance, I'm pretty sure the C710 will address the extra memory, and that the memory modules I've selected will work. 

Funny the dearth of information on this topic for this popular model of Chromebook, even on this Acer forum! You'd think someone would know enough about the chipset and so on to fill me in. I should have them installed on Wednesday, and I'll check back in with results. Maybe I'll make a new post with a self-evident title so folks looking for similar information in future will be able easily to find it. 

Thanks - look for an update in a couple of days!

Answers

• tugbug
    Answer ✓

Well, I've decided to go ahead with it - from little drips & drabs of information I've picked up here and there as I've searched for guidance, I'm pretty sure the C710 will address the extra memory, and that the memory modules I've selected will work. 

Funny the dearth of information on this topic for this popular model of Chromebook, even on this Acer forum! You'd think someone would know enough about the chipset and so on to fill me in. I should have them installed on Wednesday, and I'll check back in with results. Maybe I'll make a new post with a self-evident title so folks looking for similar information in future will be able easily to find it. 

Thanks - look for an update in a couple of days!

• tugbug

OK - adding the 8GB kit worked wonderfully! No immediate effect at light levels of use - half-a-dozen tabs or so - but then I started adding tabs... and more tabs... I finally stopped at 25, still with 2.9GB of memory available. The usual speed and responsiveness never flagged - Chrome leaps from tab to tab as if it were just started up.

I'm very happy with this $40 mod and would encourage you to try it if your Acer Chromebook has upgradeable memory! It's a piece of cake and very effective. Highly recommended!