VIRUS' and SPYWARE

cnutter
cnutter Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

Upon buying this Acer Chrombook Laptop, they said it was almost IMPOSSIBLE to get a virus.  True or Not?   I was just looking on a shopping website (LowesHardware.com)  when I got a pop up with a voice saying that I might have a virus and to call some 844 #.  It had to shut down the computer to get that pop up to go away. It was impossible to "X" out of it.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer

It's no harder to get bit by a malicious or hijacked site on a Chrombook than it is in a Windows, Linux or Mac. It is much, much harder to get a virus that actually runs on your computer, you pretty much have to manually bypass all the safeguards built into the OS to install malware. Smiley Happy

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • jmhalder
    jmhalder Member Posts: 2 New User

You need to take a look at installed extensions, they have ones that might force advertising on top of normal websites, it's semi-malicious. ChromeOS is sandboxed so **bleep** well that it is pretty much impossible to get a virus. I'm banking on a rogue extension. (keep in mind, I've had stuff like this where the extension updates, then starts causing issues, used to have a "Smooth Scroll" one, that one day decided to include forced ads, this was also the day I deleted it)

• jkpurdue
    jkpurdue Member Posts: 4 New User

I got the same message after going to Google search, brand new chromebook had it turned on for 3 hrs.

jkpurdue

• jkpurdue
    jkpurdue Member Posts: 4 New User

how do you install another virus program on chromebooks?

jkpurdue

• Member Posts: 21 Networker
    Hi cnutter, I would recommend you to download this protector for this spyware, adblock, and you can see also here   https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adblock/gighmmpiobklfepjocnamgkkbiglidom?hl=en-US what I mean.

I hope it resolve your situation, ah something else, Chromebook does not get virus.
  • AntoJoseph
    AntoJoseph Member Posts: 83 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Download and install the Chrome Cleanup Tool. You can also try Malwarebytes and Spybot Search & Destroy. For particularly troublesome malware, the Malwarebytes forums are an excellent resource.