Shutdown problems

imaginemylife
imaginemylife Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
I bought a used chromebook 15. When I click shutdown the light goes off as if the chromebook has shut down but if i immediately open the chromebook again it turns on and shows the password box. Instead of shutting down it seems to just be going into sleep mode.

Am I doing something wrong? Did I perhaps purchase a defective chromebook?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer

Nope, that is pretty much how they work. You can force a full power off, but unless you are going to leave it off for a long, long time you don't really need to.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Pssst3
    Pssst3 Member Posts: 47 Devotee WiFi Icon

If you shut it down by signing out and selecting shutdown from the screen, or you hold the power button down for 6-8 seconds, any Chromebook should turn off. Depending on how you do the shutdown, the process can take 8-10 seconds. 

When shut down and not connected to a charger, there should be no LED activity at all.

Opening the closed cover of any Chromebook will start it up if it was shut down, wake up it if it was sleeping, or interrupt the shutdown process.

If you just close the cover or let it sit for 15 minutes, the screen will turn off and it will go into sleep mode.

If you press the power button for 2-3 seconds, the Chromebook will lock your session.  The screen will shrink, and then show the signin page with just your avatar shown. After a few minutes it will go into sleep mode.

Starting it up it will produce a screen with the Shelf showing an option to connect as Guest.

Waking it up will produce the locked session sign in page with the Shelf showing an option to Sign out.

If a Chromebook is in sleep mode,  one LED will flash slowly to indicate that it is using power. Even with the screen off, dynamic RAM needs power to hold data for a signed in session. 

Go to the Acer Product support page and download a copy of the User Manual for your Chromebook.  It might be generic for the series, but a good way for you to quickly get familiar with your Chromebook and the basics of using the Chrome OS system.  

If you want to get more information quickly, the best book I've found is the latest edition of  "My Google Chromebook" by Miller.