Questions about switching to a Chromebook

MorrisGray
MorrisGray Member Posts: 4 New User

Please forgive me as I know little about computers. I am wanting to purchase my first chromebook as I am tired of problems with my Windows 7 based laptop. Tried to update to Windows 10 and it fried my system. I have an expensive Sony Vaio Series laptop and it didn't even come with a restore disc, they expect you to go online to fix problems but you can't get online when this kind of problem occurs. Anyway I am wondering why do you need to have a restore disc or whatever for this chromebook? I thought that was the value of a chromebook or is it in case the whole computer dies like my Sony did or something?

Next is this a good model and can you tell me if it would perform better than the...

NX.MUNAA.0

????

Which processor is better and would operate best?

I know screen size is different but that is not an issue for me.

Best Answer

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator
    Answer ✓

Hi MorrisGary,

I moved your post as it is different from the issue discussed in the other thread. Hopefully this gives you more visibility.

First, I'd like to address the recovery media issue you had with Sony, not that I want you to go back, but because it affects Acer as well and I'd rather you have the best information vs the information that's best for us to give you. Windows based PCs do not come with recovery media anymore. Acer systems have a recovery partition that allows you to restore Windows directly from the harddrive. You can make backups at any time (as long as the system is operating).

Moving over to the Chromebooks, The Google Chrome team has done a fantastic job in making sure the ChromeOS is accessible from so many different paths. I'll link you to a them below, but it's so quick and simple the ChromeOS is very light and what I mean by that is that there isn't much to it. All of the customization and enhancements are tied to your Google account. It takes minutes to reinstall the ChromeOS if you run into an issues where it can take nearly an hour to reinstall Windows.

As far as a recommendation, we have several on our store. If I was going to buy a new Chromebook today, without a doubt (besides my obvious bias towards Acer Man Wink) it would be the CB3-431. This is 14" vs the 15" you, but it as a better screen (1080 vs 768) with more RAM and storage space. It's also available on Amazon with plenty of good reviews: https://store.acer.com/en-us/chromebook-14-cb3-431-c5fm

I hope this information helps!

Cory

Answers

• Cory-Acer
    Answer ✓

Hi MorrisGary,

I moved your post as it is different from the issue discussed in the other thread. Hopefully this gives you more visibility.

First, I'd like to address the recovery media issue you had with Sony, not that I want you to go back, but because it affects Acer as well and I'd rather you have the best information vs the information that's best for us to give you. Windows based PCs do not come with recovery media anymore. Acer systems have a recovery partition that allows you to restore Windows directly from the harddrive. You can make backups at any time (as long as the system is operating).

Moving over to the Chromebooks, The Google Chrome team has done a fantastic job in making sure the ChromeOS is accessible from so many different paths. I'll link you to a them below, but it's so quick and simple the ChromeOS is very light and what I mean by that is that there isn't much to it. All of the customization and enhancements are tied to your Google account. It takes minutes to reinstall the ChromeOS if you run into an issues where it can take nearly an hour to reinstall Windows.

As far as a recommendation, we have several on our store. If I was going to buy a new Chromebook today, without a doubt (besides my obvious bias towards Acer Man Wink) it would be the CB3-431. This is 14" vs the 15" you, but it as a better screen (1080 vs 768) with more RAM and storage space. It's also available on Amazon with plenty of good reviews: https://store.acer.com/en-us/chromebook-14-cb3-431-c5fm

I hope this information helps!

Cory

• MorrisGray
    MorrisGray Member Posts: 4 New User

Much help indeed and much appreciated. I am very thankful for your information provided. I just got a deal on a new Acer C910 for $135 so I could not pass that up. I may buy something better if I like it as much as I think I will after I get use to the new format of a chromebook.

• Cory-Acer

That's a good deal and I wouldn't pass up a C910 for 40% of the price of a CB3-431 either. That's a good Chromebook and should be a great introduction. Hope you enjoy it.

Cory