Need MAC addresses for 100 new Chromebooks C738T-C44Z

roundtree19
roundtree19 Member Posts: 2 New User

We have just purchased 100 Chromebooks, model C738T-C44Z.

I have the serials numbers for all 100 Chromebooks in an Excel spreadsheet.

Is there anyway to get the MAC addresses of these devices in a list?

It's for entering them into our schools wireless network system.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10584/~/how-do-i-find-the-mac-address-and-other-network-details-on-my-acer-chromebook%3F

if you don't want to check every machine MAC address one by one but  having a quick list, is to enter the wifi access point web interface (or via SSH telnet) or router and check the list of connected devices, normally the list will appear as:

IP address - MAC Address - machine name

so you can easily export that list (if option is available) or copy paste the text and filter them on the excel file to match IP address or machine name and fill the relative MAC address

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • roundtree19
    roundtree19 Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks.

I'll have to make a temporary open wireless network to do it that way to find details from DHCP.

Is there a way to automatically get Chromebooks to connect to a Wireless Network with deployment?

Like put a flash drive into the Chromebook? or PXE boot or DHCP options tags? Any automated way of deploying? Or does everyone have to be manually connected to a wi-fi network?

• Brandon1
    Brandon1 Member Posts: 6 New User
    The suggestions made so far sound good. You can also take each chromebook and without connecting it and run the chrome system command, chrome://system. in the browser window without connecting the chromebook to a WiFi connection. Look down the list of the items on the extreme left side of the screen for ifconfig, fortunately the entries are alphabetically ordered, and expand that listing. The expanded information should show an entry for wlan0: with a second line showing ether and a six double digit code seperated by colons and that is the MAC address for that specific laptop. I figure that this is a time consuming proceedure but you will know which chromebook serial number has which MAC address. but it should be understood that the MAC adddress is assigned to the WLAN Module in the Chromebook and not the Chromebook itself. A Chromebook that has been repaired may have had the WLAN Module replaced and it will then have a different MAC address than before. Hope this helps.