Chromebook C720 LCD spontaniously cracked

CW70
CW70 Member Posts: 1 New User

My sons Chromebook C720 LCD screen has spontaniously cracked.  I have read that many people on this forum have had the same problem.  Its 7 months old and yes, its well looked after.  Its not been dropped, shook, poked etc. 

When calling you want an automatic £55.00 to diagnose the problem.  Im very annoyed as my daughter has one and now im waiting for this to happen to hers!!!!

Answers

• Coqui13
    Coqui13 ACE Posts: 2,215 Pathfinder

Hola CW70,

Very sorry to hear that happened, but for this you will have to contact Acer support or take it for repair to a technician as there’s no other around troubleshooting that anyone can recommend.

I the real world dough i have never seen personally a LCD spontaneously cracked, for that to happen your unit will have to reach a very high temperature (Almost melting) and still i don’t know if possible to happen before it melts.

I wish you good luck and hope you can get it fix soon. Smiley Wink

☑ No trabajo para Acer, soy voluntario.
    ☑ Para cerrar el tema, marque " aceptar como solución" la respuesta correcta que le fue de utilidad.
    ☑ Lo siento pero no se responde a preguntas de manera privada, debe abrir un nuevo tema en el lugar indicado del foro para que pueda recibir ayuda.

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2015-2019 ★★

• jmhalder
    jmhalder Member Posts: 2 New User

I'm gonna be nice here, or at least try to be. If you didn't spontaneously see it crack, it's pretty close to impossible for it to happen. Could have set something heavy on it, could've closed it very fast/hard, could've left a pencil/pen on the keyboard when closing it, could've dropped it (doesn't always have to gouge/scratch the chassis). It's literally 100x more likely that it was broken due to someone's action vs. spontaneity.

Source: I work in a school with 500+ Chromebooks, ~300 of them are C720's. It's likely that your son isn't telling you something, or is unaware that he somehow applied force to it. That being said, it's also unlikely that your daughters will spontaneously be damaged, since I've never seen one that's spontaneously broken (out of the 300 that I maintain).

(I'm trying to be kind about this, but just because you don't know how it broke, doesn't mean it wasn't a result of someones action, just that you didn't notice).

Edit 2Smiley SadIt's possible for something like the LCD frame to be weak enough to flex when closing the lid that it'll break, I mean it's not crazy sturdy. But I've had my C720 since November 2013, and I've never felt like the LCD was going to break)