Chromebook Acer C720 recognizes my Wd passport.

heymann46
heymann46 Member Posts: 12 New User

The Acer chromebook 720 recognizes my WD Passport ultra, it plays the movies, but there is no sound.  I have the acer on full sound, I have the movie on full sound, but no sound.  No other issues with the acer or pasport.  the passport plays on my laptop.  I checked on Acer and all drivers, bios, etc are current.  I would appreciate any and all solutions to this problem.  I am new to Acer, but not to the tech world.  Thank you in advance!

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,437 Trailblazer

I'm going to assume you don't have sound muted and you do have the volume up... Smiley Happy

Is there anything plugged into the headphone jack? Can you hear sounds for youtube videos? What format are the movies in? You might have a bad or missing codec.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • heymann46
    Column is up, no jacks. Not sure about the format, I think it is what all movies are formatted at. My brother put them on. Not sure where to look for the codec on a Chromebook. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
  • billsey

Do other videos play and make sound? Try Youtube...

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • heymann46
    Yes it plays YouTube also videos on facebook
  • billsey

OK, so we know it's something in playing the format of your videos not in the machine itself. Could you use the file manager to see what file extension is on your movie files?

• heymann46
    Where do I find the file manager in the Chromebook? This is my girlfriend's and I am letting her borrow my passport so she can watch some movies while she recovers from surgery.
  • heymann46
    My brother says that most of the movies are mkv format. Does that help?
  • billsey

Looks like there is a well known 'feature' in Chrome with sound on .mkv files. A Google on "chromebook mkv no sound" will give you lots of information. Other than seeing Google is working on a new player I didn't see too many working alternatives yet. It might be easier to convert the .mkv file to a format that is supported.

• heymann46
    Thanks for all of your help. I think I will try putting Plex on it for her and if it doesn't work, wel she has netflix hulu Showtime HBO and cinamax. I think she will be fine. This 60 year old Lady thanks you for your help. You were the only one that did.
  • billsey

Always happy to help, even when all I can say is 'it just doesn't work for that'. Smiley Happy

• heymann46
    Lol
  • Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator

Just to add to what yall have already done. MKV files will have issues with Chrome OS.

Here is the Chromebook Support File types webpage: https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/183093?hl=en

• heymann46
    Wow thank you for that website. That makes everything clear. I myself am a total Apple person, I use my PC laptop as a server with Plex and Apple TV. Unfortunately when we bought our TV we didn't opt for a smart TV. hence (wow got to use hence) the Apple TV. this is great stuff on the website you gave and I thank you for it!
  • chris198810
    chris198810 Member Posts: 1 New User

As chrome OS doesn't support installation of missing video and audio codecs that might be the reason some files won't display the audio or video. You can visit chrome store and look for some chrome application which can be used to play video files. That doesn't guarantee all video files will play properly in chrome OS. Anlternative way is to find a video converter app like Brorsoft Video Converter to change your file format to MP4, a general supported format for Chromebook.