CB3-111 can't enter recovery mode.

theotherjosh
theotherjosh Member Posts: 4 New User

I recently bought a refurbished Acer cb3-111 from Ebay. When I try to enter recovery mode by holding down escape, refresh and tapping the power key; I'm immediately sent to an unresponsive black screen. I know that I should be receiving a warning screen that says Chrome OS is missing or damaged, but instead, well, nothing.

Does anyone have any suggestions that might get me into recovery/developer mode?

Answers

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator

Does it boot normally otherwise? You've definitely got the right keys, I'm not sure why you're not seeing the white warning screen.

If so, are you able to test the keys to make sure they're functioning?

• theotherjosh

It does boot normally. Once I log into Chrome OS everything works fine (screen, keyboard, wifi, etc...)

As for the keyboard.

Hitting Refresh + power results in a hard reset of the chromebook. I used keyboardtester.com which verified that the escape key worked as well. When all three are pushed though (escape and refresh are held down, and the power button is tapped) I'm sent to an unresponsive black screen.  The only way out of the black screen seems to be to perform another hard reset.

I've tried entering recovery mode under battery power, as well as while plugged in. No difference.

• Cory-Acer

I'm out of idea's here. I talked to our contact center people and they haven't dealt with this. I'll ask a few questions and be back as soon as I can get some answers.

Cory

• Cory-Acer

A couple idea's came to me, first, has another OS been loaded on the machine such as linux that might be affecting the boot sequence?

Secondly, How about a full USB recovery, you can create one inside the Chrome OS or you can download a fresh one from any Windows PC. Here is a video we have: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKolTRUa0Lc&index=13&list=PLLsoMz8c0i1tEEoZ5X_DVqpbVE5oTQdSB

• theotherjosh

No other alternative operating system has been installed. I conducted a powerwash when I received the chromebook, and that would have rid it of any other OS's like crouton.

As for a full USB recovery, while it's possible to create the USB recovery stick, the process of reinstallation is still contingent on being able to enter recovery mode. While I'm able to create the stick, I am unable to enter recovery mode in order to use it. Hitting escape + refresh and power sends me to a black screen, leaving me unable to use the USB recovery stick. Turning the chromebook off, and starting it while holding down escape + refresh + power also results in a black screen.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer

I notice you said 'tap the power' button... Have you tried press and hold, like you are doing with the other two?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • theotherjosh

I have also tried holding down the power button instead of tapping it. I still end up at a nonresponsive black screen.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer

I just did some testing with my C720P, trying to get into your mode... I get a gray screen when first entering recovery mode, then a black screen followed in a few seconds by an error message telling me there is no Chrome OS on my SD card. Do you have an SD card or flash drive inserted, and what's on it? Try without the card/flash and see if it makes a difference.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.