C720 screen stays black, blue light on but no fan

2»

Answers

• nichok43
    nichok43 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hi,
    First thing is to make sure that the chromebook is still sending an output signal. You'll need an HDMI cable to connect to your TV or a monitor. If you get a picture then its not the motherboard.

The most common cause is a loose connection from the motherboard board to the screen. You'll need to check the connection. You'll need to find a video showing how to open your Chromebook. First time is difficult. If it's not the connection, then it's a new screen.

Hopefully this will help
  • ryanjwid
    ryanjwid Member Posts: 3 New User

My acer C720 chromebook has a blackscreen and wont come back. This has happened twice before and i fixed it with holding the power button for 30 seconds. I tried it again this time but it is not working. I tried putting the chromebook into developer mode with pressing the escape key, refresh button and power button. There was a quick flash of light on the screen but it went black again. I left the computer on for 10 mins while i typed this and watched a bit of TV. The blue light did not turn to an amber light. I dont know if I didnt wait long enough or it is just not working. The chromebook is over ayear old and the warranty has expired. I could really use some help on this, Thanks!

• daveacer
    daveacer Member Posts: 1 New User

Our C720 is just over a year old, when we open the lid th escreen stays black, there appears no noise from the fan either.  There is a blue light on the front and another blue light if we put the charger in.

Tried the reset by pressing the power button down but nothing still.

This appears to be a problem with Chromebooks?

Can anyone help?

i used the hold the esc refresh and and power came alive right away
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,444 Trailblazer
    Thanks for the tip! Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MattD
    MattD Member Posts: 1 New User
    mbuteyn said:

Old thread, but I thought I'd post for others that come this way.

I work on a large deployment of the C720s and handle repairs in house. The advice below will void warranties.

The most common factors in backlight are the cable to the display being not properly seated.  The majority of the time it's the end that plugs in to the panel and not the motherboard end.

Usually I see the chrome logo with no backlight, this time I never saw the chrome logo during boot, but the backlight would be on.  I hooked it to a monitor via HDMI and confirmed that it booted. Pressing ctrl plus the maximize key will switch between mirror and extend.

The connectors are held on by tape, which works most of the time, but if it's not really tight then the connector comes loose in a fall or bump.  Frequently you can see an image but no backlight.  When I opened it up the cable into the panel was not completely seated.  I removed the tape, reseated it and reapplied the tape.  All was well.

This is exactly what happened to me. I opened the Chromebook following this tutorial - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abMAHS3nGJM. The screen connector was the issue. No need to remove the tape, just press on it to make sure it's fully in. See the 2 pictures. It takes only 10 minutes to do it (very simple).
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,444 Trailblazer
    Thanks for posting your fix report on this. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• FURBY
    FURBY Member Posts: 1 New User
    Best thing to do is throw it away, seriously worse notebook ever. I tried connecting to tv with hdmi no luck 
  • jay_neikirk01
    jay_neikirk01 Member Posts: 1 New User
    HNCNJVNDJKVNSDKJVNKSDJBVJKDBVJDBVJKDSBVJKDSBVKDSBVJKD 

Ahem excuse me as i lose my composure for a hot sec... Alright I'm fine. 

Ive tried everything with this stupid chromebook...I can see it light up very dimly but then go back to being black i feel like i just messed it up even more. I'm starting to think its a system problem or I'm just not doing something right idk. 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,647 Trailblazer
    @jay_neikirk01, rather than camping out on a thread from 2019, please start one of your own. Do you also have a C720? Let us know which model and specs you have, what specifically is it doing and what you have tried so far.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.