C720 hinge failure

jso92
jso92 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited October 2023 in 2018 Archives

Dear Acer,

Unfortunately, I've begun to notice my right display hinge coming loose on my C720 4GB. When I push down on it, it makes a noticeable snapping noise. Your company has built an amazing product, however its build quality suffers dramatically by simple design flaws such as this. I have never dropped my chromebook and besides normal-light wear and tear, the chromebook is in superb condition. However, after approximately only a year and half of use, has begun to literally fall apart.

I understand laptop hinges have been an issue for 20+ years as noted by Acer technician Acer-Blayn here: http://community.acer.com/t5/Legacy-Laptops-and-Netbooks/Acer-laptop-LEFT-side-Screen-hinge-Problem/td-p/296148 and yet this design flaw continues to exist 20 years later! One would think, if this design flaw has continously been an issue, would be addressed in all models, especially those marketed towards a lower income demographic. Acer, you have built a great product but why do I have to purchase another one after a year and half of use...  

Answers

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator

Hi jso92,

I'm sorry to hear that you're running into issues with hinge. I can certainly understand the frustration, however, as Blayn mentioned hinges have been failing on clamshell notebooks for as long as they've been built, and that's not just related to Acer. Unfortunately, the hinge is the weak point in a folding process that also has to be a hollow enough to allow for wires to pass through and not krinkle them. They take all the stress created when opening the device, but it also has to be capable of moving to allow anyone (think children) to open it. I know we've continued to make improvements and modifications to the way hinges work, but if someone was to come up with a way to prevent hinges from failing the way they've done in the past, they would extremely wealthy.

We do have repair options available if you're interested in those, it may be more viable than having to entirely replace the unit.

Thanks,
    Cory

• kazzbar
    kazzbar Member Posts: 1 New User

I have the same problem with the right hinge. 1.5 years old never dropped. I only use it myself (no children) in the house. Mine started to creak about 2 days ago and I noticed it beginning to separate or split. It is only a matter of time this breaks completely off. I wish I would of bought the extended warranty. Hope Acer has a inexpensive fix. I am wondering if gorilla clue would work? Wonder how much to have it fixed by Acer. This my third Acer and it might be my last if I don't get a solution from support.

Thanks

• jgaudot
    jgaudot Member Posts: 1 New User
    We went one to one last year and been having issues all across the district with the left hinge on C738Ts.  It seems the hinge locks up and the metal breaks on the screen side.  I have one i have replaced here on my desk.  I cannot open and close it at all.  You can see the grease on the ball bearing but it will not budge.