C720 Chromebook - wifi connection drops

tem100
tem100 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives

Overall, I'm happy with this Chromebook after using it for four days. The only problem is that the wifi connection has been getting worse and worse.

The Chromebook keeps dropping wifi signals. To troubleshoot the problem, I've connected with my laptop side by side with my Chromebook and the laptop has no connection problems with the same network. The Chromebook shows the wifi signal at around 48% when the laptop shows 100%. I disconnected wifi on my laptop in case there was some kind of interference and tried again with the Chromebook, but that didn't help. This Chromebook problem started a couple of days after I started using it and seems to be getting worse.

Web surfing is still possible on the Chromebook because the disconnections are sporadic. The main problem is that my VPN disconnects every time the signal strength drops. Again, my laptop has no problems with the same network, the same VPN (and the same VPN server) and the same location. Do I have a bad unit?

Answers

• Videomarquantoè
    Videomarquantoè Member Posts: 26 New User

Can you try with other wifi net?

If yes, please repeat the same test (solderedbook and laptop) to check if the loss of signal is the same or something change.

• tem100
    tem100 Member Posts: 2 New User

I just used the Chromebook on public wifi for the first time. I was a place where my laptop had always connected at 100%. The Chromebook connected at about 75%. This was adequate enough to keep my vpn from disconnecting but it looks like this Chromebook has wifi inferior to my low end, three year old, budget laptop.

As I said before, I am otherwise very happy with this Chromebook, but I wish there was a way to boost the wifi signal.

• Videomarquantoè
    Videomarquantoè Member Posts: 26 New User

Unfortunately for upgrade the wifi module (a very simply operation) need to open the notebook and that avoid the warranty...It's not normal that a very new machine like  C720 has a poor wifi!  Smiley Sad

• ntkilpatrick
    ntkilpatrick Member Posts: 1 New User

I"m an Amazon Vine member and I just received my C720 today. Everything was going great until the battery got down under 60%. Then, the Chromebook's WiFi began to drop out every ten minutes or so. Now, the Chromebook is at 27%, roughly 3 feet away from the router (which I have moved multiple times... Above the CB, below it, next to it, 10 feet away from it, 3 inches away from it on either side) and the connection is dropping out every minute or so. The drop outs get worse if I leave the CB idle. And before we go blaming the router, it's a MediaLink, the highest rated router on Amazon, which has only had to be rebooted once in three years and has flawless connections to two laptops, an Epson printer, BluRay player and SmartTV. It is not the router.

I have to write my review on Amazon of this CB by December 29th and if this problem can't be resolved I'm going to have to give it 2 stars, because without a network connection the CB is useless, and I'm sure neither Google or Acer want that kind of a review.

• jdarianjr
    jdarianjr Member Posts: 1 New User

I recently received an Acer C720 Chromebook, and I am having the same problem.  The Chromebook is sitting three feet away from the router and keeps dropping the wifi connection.  It appears to happen more frequently when the battery power drops below 40.  I have three other computers (2 Windows laptops and a MacBook Pro) in the same room as the Chromebook.  None of them are having a problem maintaining the wifi connection.  Since this maybe a problem when the charge is low, I'm leaving the Chromebook plugged in with the charger to see if the signal continues to be dropped.

• Farmboy21
    Farmboy21 Member Posts: 1 New User

I have a similar problem with a C720 that I've had for about two weeks.  Although the problem wasn't noticeable when I first got the chromebook, it has become increasingly apparent each time I use it on my home network.  I have many other devices connected to the same wireless access point/router/DSL modem with no similar problems.  I've changed settings on the router as recommended in other forums--no change.  The chomebook has no similar problem on work-based wireless network.  All comments/suggestions welcome.

• jescott418
    jescott418 Member Posts: 38 Troubleshooter

When you make hardware at this price point some compromises can be expected. I can certainly confirm that WiFi signals are worse on a Chromebook then many PC laptops. I had a Samsung Chromebook before my Acer C720 and had plenty of WiFi disconnects. But in my opinion considering home dependant a Chromebook is on WiFi. I think I personally would have invested more in a more robust WiFi card. The problem of course is unlike a Windows PC I cannot simply buy a USB WiFi adapter to improve performance. I am stuck with whatever Acer put in these Chromebooks. I am also at the mercy of Google and the Chromium project to update the hardware drivers. 

• paultanddberg
    paultanddberg Member Posts: 1 New User

My Acer 720P has just begun dropping its WiFi connection (even when it claims it is still connected).  Two other laptops are working great with full signals.  The 720 is at 75% and will not stay connected.  This problem just began last night.  For two weeks, it was fine.  This is very frustrating.  I am going to have to return it.  Too bad, if it worked, it would be perfect.

• jescott418
    jescott418 Member Posts: 38 Troubleshooter

If you truly have 75% signal I am surprised that your losing connection. I have seen signal levels vary widely from one place to another. I myself have more drops with 2.4ghz band at night when more people   are using more WiFi too. Also other close routers can also interfere. I still believe this is a hardware issue with the lousy WiFi card. 

• nickfry
    nickfry Member Posts: 1 New User

I am also having a lot of trouble connecting my Acer C720 to my Belkin N1 router. Sometimes it does connect when I connect manually. It eventually complains that DHCP lookup failed. At first (Nov 2013) I had no problem but it is gradually getting worse and now more often than not I cannot connect. Once connected I stay connected. I have found that turning off WPA/WPA2 security always enables me to connect however this is unsafe. I have no MAC filtering and have tried changing channels which makes no difference. We have Android phones, tablets and a wireless PC win7 which NEVER have any problem making a connection even when the Chromebook does. I have tried disconnecting all the other devices but this does not help.

Is there anything else I can try to connect with WPA security switched on or will buying a new router solve an expensive problem?

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator

So, I noticed that this thread has had a few of you mentioning the same problems the connectivity and seeing additional issues when the battery began discharging but we haven't seen any follow up, results, troubleshooting or resolutions. Acer is not aware of any systemic issue involving the wifi, but that doesn't take away form the issues you all are having and the fact that an issue could possibly be identified through this conversation.

If you're having issues with connectivity, I'd suggest starting by reviewing support of wireless networks here. I'd like to which Chromebook you have C720 or C720P (P is for touchscreen devices), what type of network your connecting to; home, work or public. If you're at home, what kind of router and have you done things such as connect to a different channel, have you udpated your router's firmware, have you been able to try another network? Do some networks work better than others?

Also, has anyone been able to test and come up with anything substantial with the wireless connectivity changing on battery power?

• jayywitt
    jayywitt Member Posts: 1 New User

I have the C720 and have tried connecting to both home and public networks. They do seem to connect but have terrible signal strength. I have a Belkin N600 router. Please let me know if there's anything I can do to improve this extremely poor wifi connection. All of my other devices connect to my wifi just fine and do not have issues like the C720 Chromebook. Is it better to just return this chromebook? Help.

• Cory-Acer

@jayywitt

What are the troubles you're having? Can you explain this a bit better for me?

As for a quick answer, I would suggest contacting Acer Support and seeing what they have to offer.

Cory

• ianpblue
    ianpblue Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi

I also have a new Acer C720 Chromebook and my WiFi drops continuously through the day (I connect via an industrial strength network at work).  All PC laptops connect perfectly to it.  I'm not sure how Acer can say they're not aware of a systematic issue given the number of complaints now.  What do we do to get it resolved?

Ian

• kpucci
    kpucci Member Posts: 5 New User

I have just purchased the C720P (1 week ago) and I also have this wifi connection issue.  I have tried changing DNS but issue still persists.  Perhaps if we all created tickets with Acer, they would take this more seriously.

• Cory-Acer

kpucci wrote:

I have just purchased the C720P (1 week ago) and I also have this wifi connection issue.  I have tried changing DNS but issue still persists.  Perhaps if we all created tickets with Acer, they would take this more seriously.

We take issues with our products very seriously. We have call centers around the world to help when you have these types of issues, but I want to point out that this thead is nearing 6 months old and we're at less than 6 unique threads claiming to have the issue.

To troubleshoot the issue, I'd suggest trying other routers to see if you are continually having the issue. It could be a compatibility. It may be worth it to update the firmware on your router.

• mbonadie
    mbonadie Member Posts: 2 New User

I am a wireless engineer and I have been testing this Acer Chromebook for the last few days and here is what I have found.  The 802.1X supplicant drivers do not work correctly, which means that the supplicant driver is failing, not the wireless system.  Layer 3 devices (routers) have no idea what is going on in the Layer 2 (access point association, 802.1X, switches, DHCP) processes.  The Chromebook will associate to the access point just fine, and then the failure happens during the EAP 4-way handshake authentication process and the wireless system drops the client.  As a result, the client never gets an IP address because it can never pass the wireless authentication process to move onto the DHCP process.  Other wireless engineers have found that if they use TKIP instead of PEAP that the Chromebook works great.  But, TKIP is slower and not secure and PEAP MSCHAPv2 is part of our design.  We wouldn't change to TKIP for such a small amount of wireless clients plus that would open up potential security issues.

So, since 802.1X is client-derived, and the Chromebook is failing 802.1X, it's only safe to assume that there is a issue with the Chromebook's drivers.  Maybe Acer & Google should look into the bug together since they made the device.

• Cory-Acer

Thanks for this information. It's a bit over my head, but I'll make sure the right people can review it. Smiley Happy

• mbonadie
    mbonadie Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks for the quick reply.  If a quick resolution could be implemented, this would make a lot of end-users happier with their perceived "wireless experience".  Keep us in the loop!

• Cory-Acer

Could I ask for some help with any able to provide me with debug files. I'm not sure what's in these files, I don't think they'll provide personal data, and I'm 100% sure no password, but to be safe, feel free to private message me the files.

To get the debug files when wireless connectivity drops follow these steps:

1. Go to chrome://net-internals#chromeos

2. Click the button Store Debug Logs

3. Click the menu button on the lower left and click on Files

4. Find the data file that is stored (the date is in the file name)