C710 flashing battery light

tekton
tekton Member Posts: 2 New User

I've been on chat support for... 50 minutes now without a response from "Suresh". So I came here.

The manuals for the C710 don't say what a blinking battery light mean. The Chromebook won't keep a charge no matter how long it's on AC power. As soon as it's unplugged from the wall, it dies. I'm trying to figure out if this is a battery issue, in which I can replace the battery, or a charging circuit problem, in which I'll need to get a new device probably. Anyone know or have better documentation?

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

If you still need help, shut down and remove the power. Find the tiny hole in the bottom  and gently press a paper clip into the hole until you feel it click. Plug in the power , boot up and see if it is charging. If this didn't work, you probably need to replace the battery.

• tekton
    tekton Member Posts: 2 New User

I couldn't find this tiny hole nor a reference to it in the C710 manual. I've tried removing the battery with various combinations of plugging in and pressing the power button with no success. If I can know it's the battery, great. But I'm worried I'll buy a new battery then find that the charging circuit's dead or something.

• philetus

My mistake, I wwas thinking built in battery.

You need to find someone with a battery you can try.

• frommskipper
    frommskipper Member Posts: 2 New User

You can check battery status by pressing ctrl+alt+t at the same time.  A black help screen will appear type in "battery_test 0"

• SmyrnaRetiree
    SmyrnaRetiree Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks! I tried that and got response

Battery is discharging 0% left

Battery health: 98.8%

So does that mean the battery is okay but the charger doesn't work?

I had not used the Chromebook in over a year and it had this issue when I tried to use it again. It seems to work okay when plugged in. Purchased in 2013 very cheap from eBay. Ideas?

• philetus

I found this on another site,

"Lithium batteries have protection against over-discharging, they do this by breaking the circuit if the voltage drops too low to prevent further drain. Unfortunately, once this has triggered, you can no longer put charge back into the battery because the battery is disconnected internally, so no matter how long you leave the phone on charge, it remains disconnected and flat.

You only need to get the voltage in the battery to raise a percent or two to reconnect the protection circuit so that it will charge again and you can do that by warming up the battery. You may get away with leaving the phone overnight in a very warm (hot) place, such as on top of a hot water tank, however a more efficient way is to remove the battery and heat it up until it's quite hot with a hairdryer on its hottest setting. Heat it for a good 5-10 mins so that the hear soaks right through the battery and it feels hot to the touch, this will raise the internal voltage enough to reconnect the protection circuit. Immediately reconnect the battery into the phone and put it on charge. After about 10-20 mins, enough charge should get back into the battery to fire up the phone and it'll come back to life."