C710-2847 No Bootable Disk

dfwskier
dfwskier Member Posts: 2 New User

Lost my OS a few days ago. Downloaded the OS recovery function at Google and installed same on the C7, and removed the thumb drive. The system rebooted, but I still had no working OS. Hit the tab key and learned that I have no bootable disk.

So, either the SSD drive has gone bad or has become disconnected. I'm out of warranty, and I cant imagine that it would be cost effective to send the machine in for repair when I can get a new one a Fry's cheap. Either I fix it myself or I buy a new machine.

So I have 2 questions:

1) Does anyone have a link to a diagram of the back of the machine so that I can try to reposition the SSD and then try to start the machine?

2) I don't recall whether I have a 16 or 32 gig SSD. If the SSD is bad, can I simply upgrade to one of a bigger capacity? If sop, is there any limit on how high I can go?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

I may be confiusing models, but I thought the C710s came with a standard 2.5" HD. Once you get the bottom cover off (lots and lots of little screws) it should be obvious. You'll have access to the HD, memory modules and such.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Answer ✓

I may be confiusing models, but I thought the C710s came with a standard 2.5" HD. Once you get the bottom cover off (lots and lots of little screws) it should be obvious. You'll have access to the HD, memory modules and such.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

Yep, as Billsey said, HDD not SSD on C710

https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Acer_Chromebook_C710

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • dfwskier
    dfwskier Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks for the reply, billsye. You were absolutely right about the machine having a HDD  instead of a SSD. I should havwe looked at the box the machine came in.

I took the back off the machine and reseated the cable into the motherboard (even though it looked like the connection was fine), and the machine is working fine. 

I would have found it hard to believe that the HDD would have gone bad as little as the machine gets used, but funnier things have happenend.

Thanks again.

• billsey

Good to hear... That is actually one of the nicer things with your model, you can swap the HD for an SSD easily to get a bit better startup time. Since it's a Chromebook you don't even need a big drive. Smiley Happy