13 CB5-311-T9B0 charging port issue

13»

Answers

• jmray69
    jmray69 Member Posts: 1 New User
    This is the second Chromebook I've had that the charging port is loose. Ugh, I'm so aggravated-- how am I supposed to do business without a laptop?? The last one was beyond the warranty, only a year and half old. I bought a new one last November, and I've been dealing with the loose port since April. I've had to plug it in, turn the cord until I see "charge" on the laptop, then put something against the cord to keep it in the port, and NOT MOVE ANYTHING while it charges. The last few days, I had to sit there holding the cord into the port, for hours while watching my shows. Now, I can't maneuver it to charge no matter what I do. This is ridiculous that this hasnt been fixed, basically they're selling us laptops that are guaranteed not to work in a few months/ a year at most. I'd better get off now, I only have like 10% left, and then I guess I'm screwed until they fix it. Grrrr. 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    If you bought this one in November 2018 then I believe it's still in warranty and you should be able to just contact Acer support for a repair.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • kp92lynn
    kp92lynn Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hello!

I’ve been having issues with my Acer Chromebook’s charging port. First, I agree with many of the previous posts—the charger is too small for the port and falls out very easily. Second, and most importantly, last night I went to charge my laptop and it let out a big spark from the charging port. Now it will not charge at all. Did the spark kill the charging port? What should I do? Any help is greatly appreciated.

I am a graduate student and I use this laptop daily, so having it out of commission is a real inconvenience and I don’t have the money right now to buy a new one.
  • billsey
    @kp92lynn are you still in warranty? If so it's definitely time to contact Acer support.
    Typically anything that involves sparks is a "Bad Thing". Did it look like the sparks came from the power supply side of the connector or the computer side? Try to examine the power plug and the socket it goes into. Are there burn marks on either? Can you still see the center electrode in the power socket on your machine? Is it still straight and centered? It's very tough to get a scenario where there can be sparks created...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • clemons
    clemons Member Posts: 1 New User
    I am having a very similar issue as has been described in these postings.  I just purchased an Acer charger from Acer to charge my son's Chromebook 14 and when I insert it into the plug opening to charge the chromebook, it does not feel like it is attaching to anything inside the chromebook and is loose to the point of falling out.  Would appreciate it if a technical support representative from Acer would respond.  
  • billsey
    You'll have to contact Acer support to get anything directly from them, this is a community support board so Acer employees only monitor on their own in general. Can you look into the socket and verify the center pin is still intact?
  • Skipmeister66
    Skipmeister66 Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited September 2020
    Yup, the same problem with my Acer Chromebook 15 CB3-532.  It was always loose and has gotten worse to the point that I can barely use it now. I feel like it is a matter of luck if I can get the cable to to connect to the port just right.   I have to try for several minutes to position the cable just right and then hold it in place with something for it to charge.  There are times that I just give up.  Then there are times that it works...very delicately.  I tried a new cable and the same thing.  It's definitely the port.  

has anyone found a solution to this?  This was a great tool.  If I don't get this figured out, I don't know that I will buy another Acer again.
  • billsey
    The DC-In jack on your CB3-532 is directly soldered to the motherboard. The power adapter is a 45W 19V with a 1.1x3.0x7.7mm barrel connector. A lot of after market power supplies have a 1.35mm center hole instead of the 1.1mm in the stock supply. Those give you exactly those symptoms because the little piece of spring steel inside the jack doesn't give enough sideways pressure to give good contact with that center electrode. It's really hard, but possible, to put enough sideways pressure on the jack to actually widen the hole or bend the spring steel so it no longer pushes against the barrel. When you put yours in hw much room does it have to move sideways? If the steel is bad or the center electrode is bad a replacement of the jack is possible, but you need a technician with good surface mount solder skills.
  • Carolingreece
    Carolingreece Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have been reading these posts with trepidation as my Acer Chromebook 15 CB3-532 which is 18 months old has had a loose connection since....the warranty ran out. Worried every morning that it would have stopped charging. So far it has kept charging but now I'm replacing it with another chromebook but it won't be Acer. No reviews that I read before I bought it mentioned this problem but most of the reviews were from new owners. Buyer beware.
  • Papaphrog
    Papaphrog Member Posts: 1 New User
    I too was having a problem with a loose power connection on my CB5-571 Chromebook. I removed the back shell (18 screws and a credit card to separate the shell - did not want to use screwdriver tip for fear of scratching some electronics) and then plugged the power tip into the power receiver (no power on). The tip fit snugly. The problem wasn't the tip and receiver. I then put the tip through the back shell as far as it would go and scratched it where it protruded through the shell. I inserted the tip into the power receiver up to the scratch mark. It was loose. The problem was the hole in the shell was too small for the tip to snugly fit into the receiver. I picked a drill bit the same diameter as the black base of the power tip. 30 seconds later the hole was large enough for the base to fit snugly in the hole and the tip in the receiver. Snapped the back shell in place and 18 screws later, I was good to go.
  • lee0801
    lee0801 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I am having the same issues with my daughters Spin 311. chromebook not accepting charge. it is still in warantly. called acer yesterday and was advised all information to return the laptop for POSSIBLE repair would be emailed and no email. also advised that I would have to pay £50 to get the chromebook back if the chromebook was found to have been damaged.
  • digitalzen
    digitalzen Member Posts: 1 New User
    My wife's new CP311-2H stopped charging at about 6 months, discharged completely, and will not boot now. The Type C port seems secure, but who knows what strangeness lurks inside. I bought a new converter/adapter and it doesn't work either. The unit has had very light use. Please advise.

• billsey
    @digitalzen you should start your own thread using the Ask a Question button so more people see it as something new instead of something a few years old. Include the full model number, what you are seeing and what you've tried so far. The CP311-2H has the USB-C ports soldered directly to the MB so it would be unusual for it have come loose.
  • linmock
    linmock Member Posts: 1 New User
    My Acer Chromebook 14 CB3-431 exhibits all of the previous issues. I have purchased 3 adapters thinking that was the problem but they all fit the same and are loose. Chromebook blacksout and shows 1%. Will Acer take care of or is this a loss?
  • billsey
    @linmock you should start your own thread using the Ask a Question button so more people see it as something new instead of something a few years old. Include the full model number, what you are seeing and what you've tried so far. You have a different model than what matches this thread, so your solution is likely completely different.
  • MPark
    MPark Member Posts: 1 New User
    Bought an acer CP 311 Chromebook in August and for some reason it will not charge at certain outlets. I bought it for my son to use in university. He can charge it at home but not in his residence. He had tried every outlet. Other devices work fine in these outlets. Just not the chromebook. 
    Can you please help us figure out the issue?