13 CB5-311-T9B0 charging port issue

Answers

• elindave
    elindave Member Posts: 2 New User

As above I had this issue and as the chromebook was out of warrenty I decided to buy the jack port listed above : 

Laptop Dc Jack Cable 50.MPRN2.003

This on it's own didn't solve the problem but the charging port definatly felt more secure.

I then decided to buy a new battery. Which now works ! 

So perhaps this is also an option for some of you to try ?

As there were no chargin ports in stock in UK at the time I had to wait a few weeks to get one, and ended up paying about £18 for it. 

The battery strangely was cheaper at about £16 from amazon uk.

Depends if you wan tot spend that much money to have a working chromebook again ?

• smelvin
    smelvin Member Posts: 1 New User

Our school district has purchased the Acer Chromebook 13 for our teachers and we have had 6 of them with this same issue.  Of course now they are out of warranty.   They work fine for a while, then one day they decide not to charge. We were able to get some of them fixed under warranty, but they would never let me know what the actual problem was or what they fixed.  It's frustrating to have this happen on devices that are not that old. 

I have 2 right now that are not under warranty any  more that need repair for this issue, any suggestions??  I see lots of complaints about the same issue.

Stephanie

• parkercrossjr
    parkercrossjr Member Posts: 4 New User

It's just DESPICABLE the way Acer has ignored this issue - they're the Wells Fargo of electronics.  Google pretends to care about stuff, but they've managed to ignore this problem as well.

Three suggestions:

1.  There'a a replacement port available on eBay for $20, but the SAME problem will eventually return.  

2. You can HARD WIRE the power cable to the internal wires, bypassing the port entirely. WARNING:  Please have somebody do this with some knowledge of electronics, and MONITOR the transformer to make sure it doesn't overheat.  I'd also turn the unit off at the surge protector when not in use, just to be safe.

3. NEVER buy another product from Acer.   

• abliz
    abliz Member Posts: 1 New User

hi, do you think buying a new battery would work without the new jack port?  / if i had to buy only one, should it be the battery or the jack port? 

i'm also having the same issue as everyone else but as a student am too strapped for cash right now to buy a new laptop (which i know is the most economical in the long run), but really need a short term solution to get this laptop working right if only for a few months as i am about to start traveling for dissertation research and won't be able to keep it plugged in. 

this is an awful position that we're all in, so any helpful feedback would be appreciated. 

thank you! 

• germaine789
    germaine789 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have same charging / port problem. My son's Chromebook 14 has stopped charging - jack is loose. I sent it back to Acer as it's still under warranty but they say there is "damage" and won't repair it free. They are going to charge me £81. they are also going to charge £37 just to return it unfixed !

There is clearly a design fault with the charging socket for many Chromebooks. Why won't  Acer admit this & honour their warrantys ?

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

OK, after it has been working for about an hour, if you pull the power connector is the barrel plug hot ? What I am seeing in this thread is consistent with a plug that is carrying too much current (usually caused by a failing battery) and heating the socket enough beyond design spec for the contacts or the plastic jack to deform making the connection loose which causes a resistive connection that heats even more and...

So wondering if after a while the plug gets hot.

• jbarnes
    jbarnes Member Posts: 2 New User
    Having this exact issue! Of course the warranty just expired and they want $150 to repair a  jack that is defective and a KNOWN ISSUE with Acer. Horrible customer service and cheap products. Won't make the same mistake with ACER again!
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    I have a CB3-431 (Chromebook 14) and while it does have a 45W adapter, nothing is getting warm (may be because only a few weeks old). May need to let it drain all the way and see what happens when it charges. Wonder if there is any app like BatteryInfoView for a Chromebook.
  • Msftrick
    Msftrick Member Posts: 1 New User
    Same exact problem with the Acer Spin 3.. Only 2 weeks before having trouble with it.  Acer makes insanely poor quality over priced garbage. Complete lack of and failure from support or lack there of. Brand new used less than a week only to become a $700 paper weight. Should have spent the extra hundread to get a quality laptop from a better manufacturer. 

gregwilley said:

Having trouble with the charging port on my Chromebook. I have sent it in for repairs 3 times in 6 months.

This is the story:

After 4 months of use the Chromebook stopped charging. The power connector seemed really loose when plugging it into the Chromebook. Acer thought it was a battery issue.

I paid to ship the unit back and Acer fixed the issue and sent it back to me. The power adapter then clicked in nicely to the Chromebook and everythign was good. Not sure if they did anything with the battery. For 2 or 3 weeks the Chromebook worked fine. Then started having the same issue where the power connector was loose when plugging into Chromebook and it stopped charging. Acer apologized and promised the senior technicians would look at it. Acer paid the shipping for me to send the unit back in and Acer repaired it again. 

3 weeks later it's not working again. Same problem with the power connector.

Called in with the issue and was transfered to Senior technical support. The tech support person informed me that the last time it was sent it it had "damage". I told him it didn't have any damage, it looks perfect. He said if the plug is pulled it can separate the power connector from the motherboard or something like that. And that I might have to pay the repair cost if that is the case this time. I told him that if it is so fragile that a couple of pulls on the power cord make it unusable their must be a manufacturing defect. He told me that Acer is the #1 Chromebook seller...

In any case this Chromebook does not get heavy use. It sits on a bedside table and does not get moved much. So the unit is not being abused by any means.

I feel like I got a lemon. Anyone else having an issue like this?

• jeeprub
    jeeprub Member Posts: 1 New User

For a year and a half I had a loose charger connector on my otherwise terrific R11. Asked a couple of store techs; they claimed to be aware of the problem but it was not fixable.

A couple of months ago, having a bad day, I leaned really hard on the connector instead of inserting with normal light pressure. Click! Works normally ever since, with a little click telling me it’s secure.

• Geisha_Ivelisse
    Geisha_Ivelisse Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have had the same exact issue ever since it's first charge. The first time I ever tried plugging it in, it had issues but it was a gift and I didn't want to make the person that gifted it feel bad so I told him it might be because it's brand new ( I didn't know what to say). It's been almost two years and I use tape and move the cable in all different ways with different amounts of pressure every time I have to charge it. I have to constantly watch that it's charging to make sure it's still charging, which ends up being every 3-5 minutes or so. Sometimes if I can tape the cable to the bottom of the Chromebook in a way that allows it to charge without me holding the cable, it'll charge and I can leave its side. NOW, I'm pretty sick of the hassle and want to know what I can do to make my Acer experience better as so far, this charging thing has been a pain. 
  • BenEd
    BenEd Member Posts: 1 New User
    -Justin 
    I am having the same problems i dont know if the prongs are just not touching the charger but i would like help to be able to fix my chrombook for school 
    Thank You,

• maekvanden
    maekvanden Member Posts: 1 New User
    Same issue with chromebook cb571 Informed because I used a non branded charger I had voided my warranty even though socket same size. I was trying to get it to work. Cover up of a poor  design 
  • unwindlifestyles
    unwindlifestyles Member Posts: 2 New User

Having trouble with the charging port on my Chromebook. I have sent it in for repairs 3 times in 6 months.

This is the story:

After 4 months of use the Chromebook stopped charging. The power connector seemed really loose when plugging it into the Chromebook. Acer thought it was a battery issue.

I paid to ship the unit back and Acer fixed the issue and sent it back to me. The power adapter then clicked in nicely to the Chromebook and everythign was good. Not sure if they did anything with the battery. For 2 or 3 weeks the Chromebook worked fine. Then started having the same issue where the power connector was loose when plugging into Chromebook and it stopped charging. Acer apologized and promised the senior technicians would look at it. Acer paid the shipping for me to send the unit back in and Acer repaired it again. 

3 weeks later it's not working again. Same problem with the power connector.

Called in with the issue and was transfered to Senior technical support. The tech support person informed me that the last time it was sent it it had "damage". I told him it didn't have any damage, it looks perfect. He said if the plug is pulled it can separate the power connector from the motherboard or something like that. And that I might have to pay the repair cost if that is the case this time. I told him that if it is so fragile that a couple of pulls on the power cord make it unusable their must be a manufacturing defect. He told me that Acer is the #1 Chromebook seller...

In any case this Chromebook does not get heavy use. It sits on a bedside table and does not get moved much. So the unit is not being abused by any means.

I feel like I got a lemon. Anyone else having an issue like this?

Just came across this thread. I'm having the same issue with my Chromebook R11.  At first I thought that the charger went bad,  I spent a lot of time buying replacements.  but then I borrowed my friend's brand new Original Acer charger for the same notebook and it worked for a split 2 minutes, charged the notboork to 20 % and then the cord stoped charging.  we perofmed a battery health test and the battery shows health.  The plug will not charge anymore. I believe acer has chosen a very defective power input and it's unfortunate because the client is suffering and the rest of the design quite nice but I won't buy anymore acer products since they know about the issue and they are still selling a defective product.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    Did your friend's power supply continue to work on their system after it stopped charging yours? I suppose it is possible to short out a charger to cause it to fail in some instances.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JJWang
    JJWang Member Posts: 1 New User
    My chromebook CB3-431 purchased in 2018 has the same problem. It’s shameful for Acer not having fixed the issue since the problem surfaced as early as 2015. I am especially disappointed because I am a Taiwanese where Acer computer was originated.