acer c720 backlight not working- is it part of the screen?

twcarlin
twcarlin Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

A friends daughter dropped her laptop, and now the backlight isn't working. Is the backlight part of the screen, or a seperate piece?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer

I believe it to be part of the screen. Smiley Sad

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • nsattler
    nsattler Member Posts: 6 New User

I don't think so.  We replaced our screen and the backlight still doesn't work.

• mbuteyn
    mbuteyn Member Posts: 4 New User

I work on a large deployment of the C720s.  The most common factors in backlight are the cable to the display being not properly seated.  The majority of the time it's the end that plugs in to the panel.  If you've replaced the panel already I'd check the one that plugs into the motherboard.

They are held on by tape, which works most of the time, but it it's not really tight then the connector comes loose in a fall or bump.  Frequently you can see an image but no backlight.  I have had it where the backlight lights up but no image can be seen.  It was the same issue.

One way to see if your chromebook is working is to plug a TV into it using the HDMI cable.  Ctrl plus the maximize key will switch between mirror and extend.

• remaker
    remaker Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

I have replaced my screen and reseated my cable. Still dark. Is there a component level motherboard repair for the backlight brightness? Does the cable ever go bad?

I guess I need another system to test with.