Wifi connection speed on the chromebook 720

cwf111
cwf111 Member Posts: 3 New User

I was just wondering if there will ever be an easy way to know the wifi connection speed in Mbps like the Network Center in windows shows? I know my 2.4ghz connection speed is 300Mbps from looking at the network center on my windows computers. Only my chromebook recognizes, and uses my 5ghz connection. I tried using varous convoluted methods suggested on the internet, but it didn't show me any plain results.  

Answers

• Clyde
    Clyde Member, Knowledge Author Posts: 420 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

I don't think there is a way on the chromebook. You can probably just use a site like http://www.speedtest.net to check your speed.

• cwf111

The speedtest.net would only give me the speed of my internet connection which I already know should be around 15871KBPS, or 15Mbps. I just wanted to compare the speed of my 2.4ghz wifi connection which is 300Mbps, according to my windows network center, to whatever my 5ghz wifi connection is. I really don't understand how the wifi connection can be faster than the internet connection, but if the figures are right, it's true. That gives me an idea, I have a friend with a phone, that connects to my 5ghz. I'll have to see if it gives a reading somewhere on the phone.

• cwf111

Last night I found that a newer Samsung Tablet connects to my 5ghz wifi at 150mps. That's half the speed that my windows computers are connecting to my 2.4ghz wifi. I know according to my router specs, that the 5ghz wifi can connect up to a rate of 1350mps. Just wish I knew how fast my chromebook wifi connection speed is. 

This discussion has been closed.