Suspicious of the sign in page acer C720!

TessaK
TessaK Member Posts: 4 New User

One of the last updates done for my Acer C720 changed the look of the sign-in page.  It's very suspicious looking with a big box but over half of the box is white with nothing on it.  It still has the boxes for the email addy and password but they are way to the left of the huge white box.  

Since this happened the Chromebook has been very inconsistent and doing some random things when I'm online.  I have checked all of my settings, some were changed, and I reset them.

What might clear this up is a screen shot of what that page is supposed to look like, unless this is a glitch caused by a virus (I know their not supposed to get virus but it's not completely fool proof either)!  I have had it for over 2 years and never had a problem like this!  Coincidence?  I know that my desktop was hacked and right around the same time I began to have issues with the Acer.  I have since unlinked my desktop but am still having random issues with the Acer!

Help, please!

Answers

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator

I don't have a screenshot readily available but if you think there is a problem, I'd suggest just reloading the Chromebook, it takes less than 5 minutes and you're back up and running. Any local data would be erased however.

Reload Chrome OS: http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11188

Reload Chrome OS with USB: http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27646

Hope this helps,
    Cory

• TessaK

While I appreciate the answers it's still a no-go!  I did the PowerWash at least 4x.  The first 2x left the system more irratic and unstable, also all of my bookmarks, pics, docs, everything was still there.

The last 2x I did it, it did remove all of my downloads (pics and docs) but left all of my settings as is on reboot.  It appears to be a bit more stable, except it won't take the two-step I set up in Google, and always had on the system.  That could be a separate issue, but I have no way of knowing since I have tried to do it on two different days and times.

Any other suggestions?  I feel very strongly that it was hacked because I was on a shared wifi, among other reasons.

Any further help would be appreciated!!

• Cory-Acer

I honestly don't think it's hacked at any level. The Chrome OS is COMPLETELY different than any Windows based OS and doesn't run executables. I only can't say it isn't hackable because I'm not smart enough to hack anything Smiley Happy The Chrome OS uses a sandbox technology that keeps every tab in its own little silo. It's designed to not let issues with one tab effect another tab.

As far as your settings and some pics and things like this, your google account starts pulling cloud content down immediately. If you have applications tied to your account, if you logged onto a Windows PC with a Chrome Browser, the chrome browser would start to pickup as many settings/apps as it could once you actually logged on.

I'm not sure that I have any more idea's, but I don't really know what issue you're having at this point.

• TessaK

I have had this particular Chromebook for well over 2 years and have never experienced this kind of erratic randomness!

Do you know how I can set up the start page to ask for my password everytime I log on?

• TessaK

Also, why do my settings get randomly changed?

I purchased this particular notebook because of the "cloud" and not windows.  This is behaving exactly like windows!

• Cory-Acer

Just to be clear, Powerwash refers to a quick washing of the OS off of the TPM chip. If it was corrupted for whatever reason, powerwashes would continue to be. You can actually download the OS into a USB and reinstall completely with a fresh image with the link above.

Cory