Possible defects on Acer 15 inch Chromebook CB5-571-C1DZ

Max_McMann
Max_McMann Member Posts: 4 New User

As per this thread on Google Product Forums, Amazon (once they get their supplies back, it's back-ordered until the middle of May but they will let me use the defective one until then) are replacing my Acer 15-inch Chromebook CB5-571-C1DZ because:

1. If you type on the keyboard and touch the mousepad at once, it makes the whole display flicker black that can result in locking the laptop up, requiring a Refresh & Power.

If anyone else is having this issue, know that you are not alone.

Best Answer

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator
    Answer ✓

Hi Everyone,

I received word back that Google is aware of this issue and it is currently scheduled have this addressed in release 44 (we're currently on 42). I've gone back with a few more questions because I'm sure if this is hardware specific or anything else, if I receive that information I'll share it.

Here is the Google source review: https://chromium-review.googlesource.com/#/c/268824/

Thanks,
    Cory

Answers

• Cory-Acer

Hi Max,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues with your new Chromebook. I'm glad that Amazon is working with you to get this corrected. Fortunately, I haven't heard of other issues involving the symptoms you described with the screen going black but I will pass this along so it can be reviewed.

Cory

• Max_McMann
    Max_McMann Member Posts: 4 New User
    someone recorded theirs acer 15 flickering and uploaded it to YouTube -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWvwAoaEMi4&feature=youtu.be

on reddit I'm not the only person with the problem -> http://www.reddit.com/r/chromeos/comments/34bvxa/acer_chromebook_15_hard_to_find/cqvtmbr
  • chrommiegrl
    chrommiegrl Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter

Well, here is another one, Cory.

I have two Acer 15 Chromebooks. The black one I have had about 6 weeks, Full HD, 4 GB-32GB 1080p w/IPS panel, froze once and went black several times. It is defective but I am keeping it as I love the screen size and clarity. It has not flickered once, as of this post. I paid $357.00 for it.

So, 12 or so days ago, I ordered another one in WHITE, as I don't like typing on the first one with black keys on black keyboard. Room needs too much light. The Linen White one is model CB5-571-C1BZ and I have had it about 3 days, maybe 4. It is defective. It hasn't gone black yet, but if the palm of my hand even quickly and gently touches the trackpad while typing, the screen flickers ALL OVER THE PLACE like spastic and lasts until I power down and reboot. I am scared to type anything on it and today I am on my desktop PC typing this. My black one ( Education model ) has never flckered, so far.)

No one has seen my Chromebooks, or my Toshiba 13 or my desktop-Win-7 as I live alone. And I take excellent care of all things I own. I wanted the Chromebooks because I cut cable and can stream live cable and watch Netflix TV series on these screens as they are adequate size and can sit on my lap or a few feet away. And also email and browse. Love the smooth operation of the trackpad.

I seldom use my two very wide screen TVs since having my Chromebooks, but I can't deal with the flickering issues of the WHITE, latest one, in HD, only. I would rather send it back and pay more for a white one Amazon has in stock as of this post, even though I don't need the 4GB or 32GB but if I am going to have to live with a defective device, I want the screen to be in 1080p, Full HD. I have written Amazon, ( last night...Saturday ) and requested this be switched out and to upgrade and asked for a reduction in price, as the Acers are defective. All those 5 star reviews on Amazon?? They are probably Acer employees OR customers who have only used their new toy for a couple days, for the most part. Consumers should be reading those reviews with fewer stars?  And the comments under them.

Very sad and inconvenient, all this. I remember the days when you paid for something new, there was nothing wrong with it. These days, we will accept less than perfect and pay hefty prices for it. What a difference a couple of decades make?

Respecfully,

Chrommiegrl

• chrommiegrl

Saw that on YouTube this morning. Wish that was all mine flickered. It goes totally insane...all over the screen with rapidity and I have to power off and reboot. Returning it.

• Cory-Acer

Hi chrommiegrl,

Sorry that you're having these issues. I'm forwarding them on so that this can be reviewed.

Cory

• chrommiegrl

Thank you Cory. Smiley Wink

I decided to keep the Linen White one, in spite of the flickering. I will have to type with my wrists up in the air so I don't dare get near the trackpad. I can't trust a replacement CB, as there could be even more issues with it as I have read from other reviewers, then I would be stuck with the hassle of another return. It has all been one nightmare for weeks.   

Odd: The black educational model I have had for several weeks now, will go black infrequently ( the screen ) but doesn't flicker and my white Acer 15 "consumer" one will flicker but doesn't go black. ( as of this post )

These Acers are valuable to be because of the great screen size and streaming cable news and the great speakers ( for a CB ) and catching YouTube videos. And their portability.  My Desktop PC has anything else I need to do. Smiley Happy

• ogrady
    ogrady Member Posts: 4 New User

Cory,

I am having the same issues with my new Chromebook 15 C910.  If I am using the touchpad and the keyboard at the same time the screen will flash.

However, I have an even more frustrating problem in that randomly my Chromebook 15 will completely freeze and the only option is to hold the POWER button and wait for shutdown.  I've noticed that the screen usually flashes for an instant before it freezes up.

I've sent in feedback to Google on this but I felt it was important to ask for your help here too.  SInce I've been experiencing this problem I've been doing lots of searches and I've found other users having the same problem, although it may not appear to be widespread yet because of the low volume of units in the wild.

This is the build info:

Version 42.0.2311.134 (64-bit)
    Platform 6812.83.0 (Official Build) stable-channel auron_yuna
    Firmware Google_Auron_yuna.6301.59.8

Thanks for any help you can provide!

William

• chrommiegrl

Hey ogrady,

If your 15 starts flickering, just close the lid on it and open it back up and it should be perfect and right back on where you left off. Nice! 

Yep these first issues are duds, mostly. Don't think Acer doesn't know and isn't keeping count which is why you can't find many models. However, I am happy, so far, in that I love so much, the screen, the sound of the speakers and the ease in which the trackpad moves. Very smooth and silky. Gen-2 should have all the kinks worked out?  Robot tongue

chrommiegrl

• ogrady

chrommiegrl,

I've taken your advice and it does seem to work as far as stopping the flickering.  Unfortunately the random freezes can't be avoided because they're instantaneous.  I'm exchanging my unit and hoping the new one will be better.

• chrommiegrl

Ogrady, I do hope the replacement unit is without issues. Please post after you have used it a while??

Amazon is sending me out a Linen White one, C910-C37P  and I am returning the CB5-571-C1BZ, of which the screen is HD, not Full HD, 1080, IPS etc. I am hoping it is in working order. I'll post here after I have had it under serious use for about two weeks. It took ten days for the first C910 to start the black screen thing. I am not holding out much hope, but if I have to live with a defective device, this Acer 15, must be in Full HD 1080p.  BTW, this Linen White, isn't nearly as bright as shown on Amazon and I love that. It is more like an ivory or taupe.

I can't say enough great things about Amazon, on this issue. What FANTASTIC, COURTEOUS customer service. No wonder they are number 1 in all things and that I am so often a repeat customer..lol When I was self-employed, I gave my customers the same kind of service Amazon does. Few online companies these days are as perfect as Amazon's customer service. They will bend over backward to make a customer feel important.  Smiley Happy

chrommiegrl

• ogrady

I got my replacement Chromebook 15 C910 (Black) and both the screen flickering and the random freezing started immediately.  I sent the 2nd one back today as well.  IMHO the 15" Chromebooks have a flaw in their design/fabrication that wasn't caught by Acer.

I would advise anyone to stay away from the 15" models.  I'm going back to my Toshiba 13" which I loved.  Obviously Acer does some things right or they wouldn't have been selling so many Chromebooks all these years, but they really blew it with the new 15" models.  Period.

As a side note, I have to say that the decision to make the SD card slot on the side of the Chromebook 15 such that the SD card doesn't go all the way in and instead sits LOOSELY and half way out monumentally stupid.  /Rant

Good luck chrommiegrl

• chrommiegrl

ogrady, how discouraging, even angrily so. I hope you post this experience on Amazon.  I feel so rotten for you. I mean a 15 inch is what we WANT! My Toshiba CB 13 inch has never had a bug in almost a year. I still grab it on occasion, just to let the battery know it is still needed.

I received my Linen White replacement Acer 15 yesterday. Laid some long hours of heavy use and so far, so good. It is in there now, streaming Pandora. Test run. If it does the black out thing infrequently I am keeping it as there is just nothing better out there than this 15 inch Full HD 1080p IPS panel screen ( though it could be a bit brighter ) . What a stark difference than the ones with HD only. It took 10 days for my very first Acer 15, Full HD and all the above high end perks, to first start blacking out and then only infrequently but I don't know how, when and why, it might worsen. I was on it for several days recently while waiting for the new replacement and it went black only once. I have never had the flickering issues on these two expensive ones....YET!!!  I really have no confidence, having purchased 3 of these devices since March, 2015, and not having any of them working flawlessly.

Acer better get with it, as I think there is enough demand for a 15 inch to give them a decent profit margin. Meanwhile all the returns they are having will be eating into those current margins.

Meanwhile my immediate needs are covered with my Toshiba 13 AND my Windows desktop PC. ( and hopefully my newbie in the other room, playing Pandora. )

So sorry again, for you huge disappointment. The anxiety of waiting for the replacement is the hard part and wonderning even if it will work and then to have it not.....Robot Mad

Thanks for writing, sweetie,

chrommiegrl

• Cory-Acer
    Answer ✓

Hi Everyone,

I received word back that Google is aware of this issue and it is currently scheduled have this addressed in release 44 (we're currently on 42). I've gone back with a few more questions because I'm sure if this is hardware specific or anything else, if I receive that information I'll share it.

Here is the Google source review: https://chromium-review.googlesource.com/#/c/268824/

Thanks,
    Cory

• chrommiegrl

Thank you so much, Cory, for communicating this information. I am hoping the patches will address the 15s issues, including one CB going black infrequently after being on about 35 minutes, requiring reboot. It happens with my first one of two months ago, Full HD, 1080p, IPS, 4GB,32GB, the highest priced one. (C910)

Will the patches apply to all models of the Acer 15?

Respectfully,

chrommiegrl

• HelenaR3
    HelenaR3 Member Posts: 1 New User

I wonder if Acer fixed the problem on the refurbished units they're selling, that' the reason I didn't buy it (Flickering screen problem) but I really like the size of this chromebook

• chrommiegrl

Hi Helena,

My first one of two months ago, C910, just started going spastic on me for the first time, 30 minutes ago, while typing. It has gone black on 3 occasions but never, ever, flickered like crazy. I just closed the lid, and opened it and was right back into the place where I left off when it started going nuts.  Wow! What an experience. 

I have two of this model. One in black and one in white and the white one has had no issues after 9 days use, but I am expecting some. I will tolerate a few infrequent imperfections only, as the benefits of these devices outweigh the negatives, for my preferences. I had to send one back....the one in HD...not Full HD. It would go crazy on the screen like a lightshow or something. Almost fun to watch....lol. Just close the lid and open it right back up. Sent it back and upgraded and 9 days later so far, so good. It is like this black one....Full HD ( recommended ) 1080, IPS, 4GB, 32GB. 

I cut the cord on cable and stream it on the 15 inch screens. Pretty perfect. Saving tons of energy. 

All the best,

chrommiegrl

• Cory-Acer

HelenaR3 wrote:

I wonder if Acer fixed the problem on the refurbished units they're selling, that' the reason I didn't buy it (Flickering screen problem) but I really like the size of this chromebook

I don't believe there is a fix that can be implemented until the Chrome OS team updates.

• ogrady

I could live with the screen flickering (although it would likely get really irritating after a while), but what I couldn't accept was the random freezing where I'd have to power off and restart.  I've seen some information on a Chrome OS related Google Group that suggested that Google was aware of the flickering and was working on a fix in version 44 of Chrome OS (a little ways off since we're at 42).

Unfortunately there's been no addressing of the random freezing.  Perhaps it's not as widespread as the flickering and I was just really unlucky getting 2 for 2 that froze...

William

• chrommiegrl

Oh William, I had two that would freeze. Sent the worst one back and kept the one that does it infrequently. I have a great little 13.3 Toshiba CB right next to my two Acer 15s just in case I need to sprint back to what I was watching, really fast. But yes, many, many people have reported the freezing issues.

I so wish you had one that worked for you. I just love these dudes. Smiley Happy

In simpatico,

chrommiegrl

• Cory-Acer

Hi orgrady,

My uderstanding is that the freezing that can occassionally occur is part of the flickering issue. I'm hopeful that it will address both. We put a C910 on the Dev channel and we weren't able to duplicate it on v44. I would not recommend going to the Dev channel because there are other issues, but it is a good sign. Maybe wait for v44 to make it into the Beta channel.

Cory