Online banking with Acer Chromebooks

chrommiegrl
chrommiegrl Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter

I have been doing online banking on my Windows desktop PC for a few years. 

Does anyone have an educated or experienced opinion as to whether online banking ( cloud ) with Chromebooks is any less safe than on a hard drive? I would prefer banking with my Chromebooks but am afraid they may be less safe than online banking in general. I would like to hear anyone's experience with this cloud storage and banking. Would you feel secure or is it too soon to tell? 

Thanks for any tips or advice, 

chrommiegrl   Smiley Happy

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Https connection to online banking on Chrome OS is safer as other browsers on windows/iOS/Linux OSes.

by the way Chrome OS is better for other reasons, like applications to be installed controlled by Google, so if you only download application from Google Play, you are more protected than installing applications from the web as the other OS. 

this means that you are less prone to install trojans,keyloggers, virus or other things that can controll your connections or what are you typing on your keyboard.

but....

email spoofing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoofing_attack

or

phishing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phishing 

can be done via emails and it's all on user intelligence to not click suspicious links or referral, that tells you:- hey we are your bank, please update your account or other similar things.

it's why banks have more double checks on identity and trustable certificates (SSL) on browsers address bar, the green bar on Chrome.

this is a very quick explanation.

so, Chromebooks are safer than others OS and cloud is not involved if you don't save your online banking account; if you choose to save your online banking ID using Google service, normally this things are encrypted and hard to catch from hackers, since this kind of informations are splitted on multiple servers.............

but, IT techs, know that the safest PC is the one not connected to the web or any lan/wifi, no external ports (USB/parallel/serial/lan),no DVD/CD/Floppy drives, no installed OS and shutted down. Smiley Very Happy

PS: please use only trusted WiFi networks!!! using untrusted WiFi networks is the easiest way to catch informations. Smiley Very Happy

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly
    Answer ✓

Https connection to online banking on Chrome OS is safer as other browsers on windows/iOS/Linux OSes.

by the way Chrome OS is better for other reasons, like applications to be installed controlled by Google, so if you only download application from Google Play, you are more protected than installing applications from the web as the other OS. 

this means that you are less prone to install trojans,keyloggers, virus or other things that can controll your connections or what are you typing on your keyboard.

but....

email spoofing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoofing_attack

or

phishing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phishing 

can be done via emails and it's all on user intelligence to not click suspicious links or referral, that tells you:- hey we are your bank, please update your account or other similar things.

it's why banks have more double checks on identity and trustable certificates (SSL) on browsers address bar, the green bar on Chrome.

this is a very quick explanation.

so, Chromebooks are safer than others OS and cloud is not involved if you don't save your online banking account; if you choose to save your online banking ID using Google service, normally this things are encrypted and hard to catch from hackers, since this kind of informations are splitted on multiple servers.............

but, IT techs, know that the safest PC is the one not connected to the web or any lan/wifi, no external ports (USB/parallel/serial/lan),no DVD/CD/Floppy drives, no installed OS and shutted down. Smiley Very Happy

PS: please use only trusted WiFi networks!!! using untrusted WiFi networks is the easiest way to catch informations. Smiley Very Happy

• chrommiegrl
    chrommiegrl Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter

Thank you.  Smiley Happy

• IronFly

You welcome. Smiley Happy