Chromebook C710 screen black after sleep

nvisionweb
nvisionweb Member Posts: 3 New User

Hello.  We've had the Acer Chromebook C710 for a few years now and recently encountered a problem where the screen doesn't turn back on after it sleeps.  Sometimes it does, but it just shows a blank black screen.  Here's what I've tried:

* Unplugged the battery for a few minutes and plugged back in.  Pressed the power button, blue power light comes on, but screen is off.

* When computer is on, held down power button for a few seconds until it turned off.  Pressed again after about ten seconds, screen still did not turn on.

* Held down ESC + F3 (refresh button) + power button.  Computer turned on with blue power light and the screen turned on this time, but nothing showed up, just a black screen, but it was on.

Hoping it's not a hardware issue at this point since some of these solutions have worked for other people, but any help is appreciated.  Thanks!

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

If you shine a flashlight into the screen on an angle and look close and can't see anything on the screen, you probably have a dead screen.Try holding the power button down for a few seconds. You can try a usb recovery and see if it brings it back.

https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/1080595?hl=en

• nvisionweb

Seems odd, but nothing.  Thinking either the screen is dead or there was a hardware failure of some sort.  Can't even enter recovery mode with Ctrl+Alt+Shift+R and nothing appears on screen anyway.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer

Yes, it sounds as if your screen hardware has failed. Smiley Sad

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • nvisionweb

Is it even really worth getting it fixed?   It was a $200 computer.  I almost feel like it would be cheaper or equivalent in price to just purchase a new one.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer

Worth a little research, but I'm guessing a new one is on the horizon. Looks like the screens themselves are less than $50, but you'd have to be handy enough to do the replacement yourself for it to be cost effective. At least Chromebooks aren't big resource hogs, so the latest and greatest processors and memory aren't as important.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.