Browser window shrinks when c720 connected to TV

ffawkes
ffawkes Member Posts: 4 New User

Hi, hoping someone can help.

When I connect my chromebook to my TV with an HDMI lead the browser window shrinks in size (both on the chromebook and on the TV) and I cant then expand it. The display options (when I click the icon that appears bottom right) are greyed out.

I just want to get the browser window to full screen size but I can't

So I'm wondering - why does connecting to TV cause the window to shrink, and can I get it back to full size?

Thanks!

Best Answer

• ffawkes
    Answer ✓

Cory you are ace - all fixed, the last of your options did it with the tv as primary, at first it still didnt look right then I noticed the resolution had reset to a low one, when \i changed it to the highest res, bingo, it looked just like your last example and is just what I have been trying to achieve.

you are a star - problem solved!

Answers

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator

I haven't heard of this issue previously, so let's start from the beggining. What type of TV are you connecting it to? Is it older? Have you tried connecting it to another TV or Monitor? How did those react?

I would try going to settings and see if there is anything under manage display that can be the culprit.

• ffawkes

Hi Cory.

so - its a new panasonic smart tv, tx l39e6b

I havent yet tried my other tv, which is a similar panasonic

When I first posted here, I said the monitor settings options were greyed out.

I have since found that if I go into the settings before I press cntrl+ 'monitor' key, I can see the options.

The options are: rotate screen and change resolution

I haven't yet played wit hthese settings. Clearly 'rotate' is not going to solve the issue, but do you think that changing the resolution will do the trick?

just to add, what is happening at the moment is this:

Switch on chromebook, browser window is full size on chromebook screen

Connect to TV with cable, browser window on chromebook resizes to a smaller size ( and the ratio seems to change to something like 4:3)

Cntrl+ monitor , browser window and contents is displayed on tv, but stretched widthways, so that people look wider than they should

Then i change tv ratio from 16:9 to 4:3, which gives an unstretched image but smaller on the screen - like when you watch an old tv show on a 16:9 tv and it gets stretched out and have to change ratio to 4:3)

Dave

• Cory-Acer

Dave

Alright, so I did a little playing around and reading and it's not perfect. ChromeOS is trying to find the best resolution and it determines that without your input.

So in a browser go to chrome://settings/display and you'll the stuff I was able to mess with. I've got a 7+ year old TV with a C720.

First thing I did was "Start Mirroring" and I got the following result: http://i.imgur.com/3UTlvZE.jpg You can see that the picutre almost fits, and the chromebook is cropped is this similiar to what you're experiencing?

Second thing I did was play with extended view vs mirror, you can toggle this with ctrl+(square key above the number 5) and I got this: http://imgur.com/qiKRg4G  If you look real closely at the bottom right of the TV you can see the Chrome Browser cropped off the edge of the screen. I could stop this in the chrome://settings/display and hit "adjust" and move the edges in until it fit, but I don't think that was the best solution either.

Finally, I set the TV as primary by clicking on it up above (you can see that it's highlighted in blue now) and started mirroring and it was much easier to us. Here is this view, and probably the one i'd use if I was trying to use my TV as the output: http://imgur.com/jDHvTkg

Does any of this help solve your issue? Please let me know.

Thanks,
    Cory

• ffawkes

Hi Cory, first let me say thank you for doing that investigation on my behalf.

I am writing this from work right now, so I wont be able to try anything until this evening or over the weekend, but I will work through the steps you gave me and check it all out

I will certainly reply back here and let you know what happened.

Again, thank you

dave

• ffawkes
    Answer ✓

Cory you are ace - all fixed, the last of your options did it with the tv as primary, at first it still didnt look right then I noticed the resolution had reset to a low one, when \i changed it to the highest res, bingo, it looked just like your last example and is just what I have been trying to achieve.

you are a star - problem solved!

• Cory-Acer

Thanks for the feedback and I'm glad you got it straightened out!

This discussion has been closed.