Acer c720 chromebook

Munchkin2012
Munchkin2012 Member Posts: 2 New User

I have an Acer c720 chromebook and was wondering if anybody knew how to download skype or oovoo. i know there is something that you have to install, i believe its called lunix first before that can happen, does anyone know how to do that as well? I need help.

Best Answer

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Chromebooks are internet-based devices designed to Chrome apps and extensions while connected online.  Most programs that need "installing" probably will not work on a Chromebook

You can run Yahoo, Messenger, Skype or most other popular chat client on C7 Chromebooks but you have to use the IMO apps from the google store for this. IMO is a web based messaging app. It lets you connect to a bunch of messaging services, including Skype, via the web instead of using a dedicated client. You’ll get the same list of contacts you see in Skype – but you can’t make audio or video calls, just text chat.

Hangout  is the Google preferred solution – it works great on Chromebook, giving you full audio and video as well as the ability to video chat with multiple people at once for free

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Chromebooks are internet-based devices designed to Chrome apps and extensions while connected online.  Most programs that need "installing" probably will not work on a Chromebook

You can run Yahoo, Messenger, Skype or most other popular chat client on C7 Chromebooks but you have to use the IMO apps from the google store for this. IMO is a web based messaging app. It lets you connect to a bunch of messaging services, including Skype, via the web instead of using a dedicated client. You’ll get the same list of contacts you see in Skype – but you can’t make audio or video calls, just text chat.

Hangout  is the Google preferred solution – it works great on Chromebook, giving you full audio and video as well as the ability to video chat with multiple people at once for free
  • Munchkin2012
    Munchkin2012 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Now with the IMO can I use that as well with the hang out? I know installing Linux on here , you can download things like Skype and oovoo.
  • schletzie
    schletzie Member Posts: 4 New User

My Acer C720 just will not load anything or connect unless I'm sitting right next to my modem.  It's gotten worse and worse.  I've had it about a year and I've asked before about this problem but no one seems to know.  I seem other people having WiFi problems as well.  It used to work great for about the first 6 mos., now I have to get up and sit next to the modem to connect something then go ahead and use it.  Is there something I can do to fix this or is this just a bug of this thing.  Very frustrating.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer

This typically happens when the little tiny antenna cables come loose from the internal WiFi card. If you are still in warranty, Acer will fix it for free. If you are past the warranty period it's not too bad to fix it yourself, or have any good technician fix it for you. The cables just need to be pushed back on solidly. (Did I mention they are really small? Smiley Happy)

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • schletzie
    schletzie Member Posts: 4 New User

Thanks for the info.  Where are the wires located?  I might be able to fix it myself.  I did a powerwash or whatever they call it and turned off my modem and hooked everything back up and it's a little better but still not where it should be.