Acer Chromebook C720

heymann46
heymann46 Member Posts: 12 New User

My Acer chromebook and my WD Passport ultra are compatible.  Except, when I play the movies on the passport, they play, but there is no sound.  Here are things I''ve done:  checked to make sure sound is on the movie and the chromebook.  Checked on the Acer website and all drivers, bios, etc. are current.  I would appreciate any and all solutions out there.  Thank you in advance!

Answers

• Blayn-Acer
    Blayn-Acer Administrator Posts: 2,355 Community Administrator

Did it ever work with sound? If it did, you may try to powerwash your chromebook. If it did not, you may try contacting WD to see if they have any suggestion for compatibility on chromebooks. I would like to be able to better assist, but I do not have a WD passport ultra to test with.

• heymann46
    Impowerwashed. I get sound from other sources such as You Tube. I will contact WD to see if we are missing something. Thank you for your support
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

I thought we'd pretty much decided it was problems Chrome has with .mkv files. The owners of the .mkv format require a vendor providing .mkv functionality pay a licensing fee, Google doesn't want to, and there aren't any app vendors that want to step up to that plate yet either. Best bet is to convert the video files from .mkv to something like .mp4 which doesn't require special licensing fees.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • heymann46
    Thank you I will look into this.
  • SA_Spurs1
    SA_Spurs1 Member Posts: 18 New User

Any luck in getting this to work?