Acer C710-2847 Chromebook won't turn on

Beyond
Beyond Member Posts: 4 New User

Chromebook Model - Acer C710-2847

Issue description: Chromebook won't turn on: blue light won't even light when charger is plugged in.  The C710 worked (but occasionally wouldn't start on opening the cover unless I hit the power button) until I did a powerwash.  After that the Chromebook restarted and asked for a new login.  Closed the cover and it wouldn't restart.  Tried everything I could find on the forum: hard reset, leaving the battery out for days, etc. Actually it finally did start up twice among many, many tries but as soon as the cover is closed it goes dead again.  It's been days of trying now with not so much as a blue light.  Any suggestions, options?  Bought it directly from Acer on eBay (refurbished, but looked new).  

Thanks/Ed

Answers

• Beyond

Took my Chromebook to a friend who has the exact same model (except his has the 16GB SSD instead of the 320GB HD).  My battery and power adapter worked fine on his (battery showed as full).  His battery and power adapter in my machine made no difference: still no power lights or any sign of life.

• rorymcdaniel
    rorymcdaniel Member Posts: 1 New User

Did you ever find a resolution to this? I have the exact same issue - I bought two from Acer via eBay. One has this exact problem, the other doesn't.

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator

Hi Rory,

Can you try holding down the ESC + Refresh Button (top row) + Power?

This would take you to a white screen with a big exclamation mark. If you can get here, Control + D will allow you to reset the OS. Follow the steps, I believe it's just Space, Enter, Space to start the process. If this part fails, but the unit is clearly getting power, you can create a recovery drive by following these steps: https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/1080595

Hope this helps,
    Cory

• Beyond

No resolution from Acer.  Acer has no suggestions.  Seems that this no power issue is fairly common with the c710-2847.  Probably why Acer dumpped them via ebay.  My resolution was to replace this one and another one with 2 HP Chromebooks and they've really been a step up IMO.

If anyone has a suggestion to the no power problem, please speak up.  I would think at this point that it has to be a motherboard fault.  Are there any other possibilities?  I still have the dead c710-2847 and would like to revive it if possible.  Motherboards can be had via ebay.  Does anyone know if all c710 MBs are the same?  Thanks.

• tugbug
    tugbug Member Posts: 4 New User

See my comments in a related topic - neither of these topics should have come up, in my opinion. Very disappointed in Acer.

http://community.acer.com/t5/Chromebook/c7-chromebook-won-t-turn-on/td-p/123949/page/4

Last Acer product I buy, I fear! I also have an Acer monitor that has started flickering, and the forums are full of folks with that fault, too. Live and learn, but they will get no more of my money!

• Beyond

tugbug wrote:

See my comments in a related topic - neither of these topics should have come up, in my opinion. Very disappointed in Acer.

http://community.acer.com/t5/Chromebook/c7-chromebook-won-t-turn-on/td-p/123949/page/4

Last Acer product I buy, I fear! I also have an Acer monitor that has started flickering, and the forums are full of folks with that fault, too. Live and learn, but they will get no more of my money!

No good news here either.  As far as Acer goes, I don't recommend anything of theirs anymore.  I used to but their lack of any kind of service is abominable.  No options, nothing.  The response if there was one seems to be: throw it away and buy a new one.  How to alienate your customers 101...

• Julianna
    Julianna Member Posts: 2 New User

Hey folks, 

I have one of those Acer C710's that did not start and worked sometimes etc. So, I googled the problem and found stuff that was not helpful. 

Here is how to fix the issue: 

See the little red cable at the top of the square on the right side? That is the power cable and the connector to the motherboard on the upper left side is what is loose. I know 'cause I fixed mine. Then I put a small piece of tape on the two pieces and this little machine works!! 

Like to Thanks "regazzz" for his youtube video showing me where it was. If you follow 'regazzz''s video, you can fix this. Took me all of 15 minutes!! I used an ice-cube tray to hold all the screws and followed the video. 
    The connector plug was half-cocked in it's receptacle. I pushed in fully, put a very small piece of tape over the two to keep them together and... once assembled ...first try at opening the lid, it worked!! 

Been working fine ever since. Smiley Happy

Hope this helps. 

Julianna
  • misscat913
    misscat913 Member Posts: 2 New User

My back panel was loose I press down hard on the back of my chromebook and it came on I guess because panel was loose battery was dont connecting I did dropped it recently and that may have lifted the back panel so I removed battery got panel back flat and inserted battery and it came on.

• misscat913
    misscat913 Member Posts: 2 New User

Beyond wrote:

Chromebook Model - Acer C710-2847

Issue description: Chromebook won't turn on: blue light won't even light when charger is plugged in.  The C710 worked (but occasionally wouldn't start on opening the cover unless I hit the power button) until I did a powerwash.  After that the Chromebook restarted and asked for a new login.  Closed the cover and it wouldn't restart.  Tried everything I could find on the forum: hard reset, leaving the battery out for days, etc. Actually it finally did start up twice among many, many tries but as soon as the cover is closed it goes dead again.  It's been days of trying now with not so much as a blue light.  Any suggestions, options?  Bought it directly from Acer on eBay (refurbished, but looked new).  

Thanks/Ed

My back panel was loose I press down hard on the back of my chromebook and it came on I guess because panel was loose battery was dont connecting I did dropped it recently and that may have lifted the back panel so I removed battery got panel back flat and inserted battery and it came on.

• KAPLAN
    KAPLAN Member Posts: 2 New User

This reply was perfect! It worked for me. Thank you!!!

• Jack1
    Jack1 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Julianna --- THIS WORKS ! ! ! Thanks so much for taking the time to post your careful instructions. What worked for you, worked for me. THE SOLUTION to my Acer C710-2847 Chromebook won't turn on problem !!! Your post has been viewed close to 17,000 times ! Others were probably helped, but didn't take time to log in, thank you, and give a thumbs up. Thanks again ! --- Jack
  • Julianna
    Julianna Member Posts: 2 New User

Thank you Jack. Smiley Happy  Very nice of you to post such a great comment. 

I do appreciate the feedback. 

Glad I could help Smiley Happy 

Julianna

• KAPLAN
    KAPLAN Member Posts: 2 New User

To clarify, below is the reply from Cory that worked for me:

Hi Rory,

Can you try holding down the ESC + Refresh Button (top row) + Power?

This would take you to a white screen with a big exclamation mark. If you can get here, Control + D will allow you to reset the OS. Follow the steps, I believe it's just Space, Enter, Space to start the process. If this part fails, but the unit is clearly getting power, you can create a recovery drive by following these steps: https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/1080595

Hope this helps,
    Cory