Windows 8 factory reset?

Raygo
Raygo Member Posts: 3 New User

HELP!  I tried to upgrade from windows 8 to 10 on my Aspire X3995.  Microsoft said I qualified and my hardware requirements were met.  They did not say to check with your OEM to make sure they have all the driver support you need.  Acer does not support my model on 10 (yet)

so so now I have a very unstable 10.  I do not have a saved image of 8 to revert to.  I can't find my original install CD.  I am hoping that I can initiate an Acer factory reset to 8.  I have all my files backed up and do have my office install CD.  I just need a non flaky OS

how can I revert to 8 safely and easily?    Do I get into the BIOS screen and initiate from there?   Do I need a USb boot thumb drive from a download somewhere?   Do I need to involve Acer support?   Is this paid or warranty covered support?

i know I should not have been so trusting and should have been better saved as a revert option.  I just got tired of being pestered by Microsoft to upgrade and tired of windows 8 ( which is pretty bad).   Maybe Acer will just provide the right drivers for me and it will magically work?  I'm not counting on that.   Please help me.  Thanks in advance

too trusting for my own good

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

windows 10 is better on hardware management than windows 8, so as "very unstable" what do you mean?

maybe we can find some OEM drivers, instead of waiting Acer's drivers.

by the way, if you prefer to revert:

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/how-revert-back-your-previous-os-after-windows-10-upgrade

or you can try to press ALT+F10 at boot but after a windows 10 update, this normally starts windows 10 recovery instead of Acer recovery factory reset.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Raygo
    Raygo Member Posts: 3 New User

Unstable meant freezing and or black screen.  Typically it just freezes after 5 minutes tops

i was able to find recovery and factory reset option in start window.  I am reverting to 8.   Acer does not support my model for 10 so I don't want to try.  

I will say that I prefer 10 to 8 so if anyone knows how I can reliably get that installed on my unsupported model aspire X3995 then maybe I would try again.  In the meantime I will work around crappy 8

thanks

ray

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

first thing you must do, after reverting back to windows 8, is to create the Acer erecovery media, so you will be always able to revert or re-install factory OS.

http://acer--uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26286/~/create-a-acer-factory-default-backup-in-windows-8.1

then, if you want to re-install windows 10, you can do it on 2 ways:

1) as upgrade, you already did it

2) clean install, this means that you will need to wipe your HDD and install windows 10 as a new OS

you can create a bootble windows 10 installation media, so you will not need to re-download it again and again:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209

microsoft official tool, just follow on screen instructions, you will need a 8 or 16GB USB flash drive.

I'm not an Acer employee.