New Acer AT3-600 UR33 No Video on PCIE expansion ...

Keith932
Keith932 Member Posts: 10 New User
edited February 2018 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops

Sorry to everyone on my last Blank Post.  I have a new Acer Aspire AT3-600 UR33

I have tried 3 different Video Graphics cards in the PCIEx16 Expansion slot.

NVIDIA GT-210, GT-610 and a older Radeon 512 MB graphics card all with no luck in getting any video.

I checked the BIOS settings only finding no setting for a Primary video graphics to the PCIEx16 Slot.

However I did note the  video setings for the Video memeory size to 128mb and a DVMT Memory size at Maximum.

But I noticed that the DVMT Mode was Greyed out and could not be selected. Has anybody out there ran into this problem.?    I contacted Acer online support which was not much help only giving me a RMA to return the computer to the repair center.... I deal with many computers and have built several of my own and for others in the past. I am getting to wonder if this is a BIOS design fault by not allowing the primary Graphics controller to the PCIEx16 card slot. My T3-600 has the latest current BIOS, I will contact the repair center directly to see if I can come up with any other answers to this problem before I have to really send it to them. 

Answers

• Zeroisnothing
    Zeroisnothing Member Posts: 1 New User

I am in the same boat as Keith932.

My father in law had asked me to help with this Acer computer that he got through the emachines redeem site. I have been building/working on computers for the last 10 years so I thought it would be an easy set up. Once I received it I installed an older Nvida GT 220 I had laying around and when I turned it on I had no video output on any port of the video card or the mother board itself. I powered it down, removed the video card, and everything worked as it should. I tried a few more times thinking it wasn’t seated correctly or something odd like that but I always ended up with the same results, blank screen. I did not see anything that stood out in the bios as being the issue, but I only spent a minute or two looking around for something obvious. Any help would be great.

• Keith932

Wow just what I wanted to hear, someone else having the same issue, I boxed up my AT3-600 UR33

and shipped it back to the Acer repair center with a RMA.. Now I am getting to wonder if this could

be a non correctable issue with this model and it is getting to sound like a BIOS issue.  Well as soon as I hear something back from ACER repair center I will let you know. I tried everything I could also and even with 3 video cards Nividia and Radion all did the same thing No Video...  Seems very stupid to put a PCIEx16 external Graphics card slot and have it not work..

According to Tech Support on Line it is supposed to work thats why they told me to return it with the Repair RMA.

Will seeeeeee ?

• Keith932

My AT3-600-UR33 Just arrived back from the repair center. Reading the service report had me a bit stumped.

They tested mine using a ACER Grahics card SKU Part Number VG.PCU63.001 in the PCIEx16 slot they tested the system and no faults found....

The AT3-600-UR33 will only accept a Graphics card meeting ACER Specs,  On Line support gave me some numbers to call ordering for this Graphics card. But I am trying to find more specs about it first and I wont be able to do that until Thursday morning.  Acer Online Stores 800-910-2237 8am- 5pm CST, there is another number www.skyline-eng.com

715-698-4880.  There is a catch to this folks you have to use a ACER graphics card,  If anybody out there has tried something different that worked let us know.

Keith

• masterbw
    masterbw Member Posts: 1 New User

Because the graphics card require UEFI BIOS to work with Win8 under UEFI mode.

So you have to contact graphics card manufacturer to request for the UEFI BIOS, however please note that only the recent GPU will have access to UEFI release.

• chriskv
    chriskv Member Posts: 32 Die Hard WiFi Icon

Does this mean most any nvidea card will work with nvidea's latest drivers?

• chriskv

I would like to use one of the three open regular PCI Express slots (not the big PCI 16x slot).  Will any dual monitor PCI express card work?  Also, I want to buy a dual ported card, and also use the onboard graphics card so that I will have 3 monitors available and use all three when needed.  Is this possible on this motherboard ???

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder

Hi chriskv

Most PCI cards should work fine.

You cannot use onboard and PCI card graphics at the same time. When you insert a card, it over-rides the onboard graphics, which will in fact, be disabled.

What you can do is buy a card with 3 connections, VGA, DVI and HDMI, then insert a monitor to each port. Shop around for graphics cards, because some offer different types/quantities of connection. There may be a chance you'll need to upgrade your power supply too.

• chriskv

Thank you for reply.  I read where with these newer motherboards the On Board graphics can be used in conjuction with a graphics card.  Also, this mobo has graphics intergrated with the CPU so I think that would be more efficient?  The three port cards are also rather expensive.

• finlux

As a rule, the BIOS will disable the onboard graphics if you insert a graphics card. Unless your BIOS has a setting that can over-ride this option, it may not be possible.

• chriskv

The bios in this AT3#-600 UR33 computer thread in Bios P11-B0.  Acer website has no documentation on this bios.  I did not see a setting for enabling onboard video.  Can Acer or user change bios so both PCIe and Onboard graphics can be used at the same time?

• finlux

They could, I suppose, if they wanted to (plus the mobo would need to support it), but to be honest, it's highly unlikely...

• chriskv

I see   :-( 

May I suggest that Acer offer bios updates as an enhanced service.  I know ASUS and other motherboard manufacturers have numerous bios updates for their motherboards...

• chriskv

Well, I decided to forgo 3 monitors and just use two monitors with the stock graphics controller.  My monitor has no hdmi connectors so I will order a hdmi adapter to dvi, and my HDTV is analog so that will get conncected to the computer's VGA port.  Resolution of tv is 760P, and monitor is 1280x1024.  This should work fine for now.

• finlux
    Ah, well!

At least you've come to a compromise!
  • chriskv

Got the dvi to hdmi adapter.  For insurance also picked up an extra 4gb ram so now have 8gb.  Dual monitors work great and CPU barely takes a hit while watching TV on HDTV and web surfing on 19" monitor.  CPU cycles were in 30% range and memory in 25% range.  Very happy with this $50 upgrade ($40 ram, $10 cable/adapter).

• chriskv

My wife always tells me to never compromise, and of course I still do need some way to hook up my 3rd 17" monitor.  Only solution I know of is a USB video adapter. 

• finlux

Great! For only $50, I bet it feels like a new computer!

As for the USB graphics card, this might be an option, although they never perform as well as an internal card. Plus, as it is USB, there will be an increase on the CPU.

• dneesey2
    dneesey2 Member Posts: 1 New User

I just received this computer today fron the emachine redeem site. So what exactly is it that is wrong with it. I to not work on computers...I'm just a computer user.

• finlux

Hi dneesey2

What particular problems are you having with it? Are you trying to fit a graphics card?

• chriskv

Nothing wrong at all with this computer.  Some of the features that I especially like include wifi, bluetooth, usb 3.0, hdmi port, extra PCI slots, extra ram slots, front headphone jack, SD card reader, and dvd recorder.  Another nice feature is the top that is slightly concave so you can put things on top and they won't slid off.  For most users this computer is more than adaquate.  It does like every product have it limitations usually due to cost contraints.

The problem that I'm wrestling with is using three or more monitors independently at the same time.  If the bios could be updated then possibly I could easily add a seperate low powered video card and view 4 monitor (2 monitors from the included Intell HDGraphics controller, and also two more from a seperate video card.) However, as PioneerPioneer has stated, it is not very likely Acer will be doing any bios updates.  So getting 3 or more cards to work is more difficult with a static bios. 

Now, if you go back to the fifth post in this thread it states as follows:

"Because the graphics card require UEFI BIOS to work with Win8 under UEFI mode.

So you have to contact graphics card manufacturer to request for the UEFI BIOS, however please note that only the recent GPU will have access to UEFI release." 

Does this mean that only new graphics cards will work? How about if I want to use a four year old card?  Also, what maximum watt (TDP) video card should I be looking at with this 300 watt power supply?  To get four monitors working may require two, not one, video card.  Would two cards that are each rated at 25 Watts TDP start up with this power supply?

This discussion has been closed.