Can anyone tell me how to update my bios in my Acer aspire 5610Z laptop. I installed Ubuntu Linux

Prototyper
Prototyper Member Posts: 16 New User

I installed Ubuntu Linux in my Acer Aspire 5610Z laptop and all was fine until the latest updates came in. I inquired about the problem and I was told that I needed the newer version of bios. My laptop uses Pheonix WinPhlash bios and I cannot make it work through Ubuntu. Iwould appreciate any help that anyone might be able to give me. The keyboard does not work correctly and the person at Ubuntu assured me that it was the bios causing the problem. My laptop originally came with a Windows Vista installation disk.

Thanks in advance.

Rich S.

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

Rich S.,

I don't know how to update the BIOS on your laptop, but I use Lubuntu instead of Ubuntu on my older laptop.....and recommend it.  

http://lubuntu.net/

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • JordanB
    Or if you want something with UEFI (a newer BIOS) without breaking the bank........prices have really come down......and they're having specials...

http://www.walmart.com/browse/electronics/laptop-computers/acer/3944_3951_1089430_132960/YnJhbmQ6QWNlcgieie
  • IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

you can try to flash the *.WPH file (BIOS file) with phflash (DOS enviroment) instead of WinPhflash(windows enviroment).

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/creating-bios-flashing-boot-disk.440088/

• Prototyper

No suggestions helpped. I did a Google search and I discovered the keyboard problem I am having is a common thing with Ubuntu 14.04. I tried a few of the suggested solutions I found in my searchand none of them helpped either. Thanks to everyone for trying to help me.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

maybe you can try Ubntu 15.04 and the new 4.1 linux kernel.

• Prototyper

I have installed version 15.04 prior to your suggestion. It did not change anything. Can you give me more info about the 4.1 Linux Kernel. I am not very well educated about kernels. Thanks in advance.

• Prototyper

Thanx, I'll give it a try. Your input is very much appreciated.

• JordanB
    Let us know if it works.

The reason I recommend Lubuntu is because it works much better and is more compatible with older laptops/desktops/hardware.
  • Prototyper

I had no problems with Ubuntu version 13. I started having problems with my keyboard after it upgraded to 14.04. I filed a bug / problem report with Ubuntu and I was told it was my out dated bios version 3.50. I went through hell trying to update it to bios version 3.60 but after many frustrating hours I finally ended up puting in Windows 2000 and updating WinPhlash through it. I had wiped my hard drive, reformatted it and it would no longer install Windows Vista. I can't figure that one out at all? After going through about two weeks of failure I finally got bios 3.60 installed. It did not change anything. The keyboard of the laptop worked just fine with Windows. When I put Ubuntu back it I had the same old ball game. I have to use a USB keyboard. I installed Ubuntu 15.04 (advice from my learned son) that produce no change either. Now, I had been going on the asumption that the fellow from Ubuntu knew what he was talking about since he assured me that it was a "buggy bios" version 3.50 causing the keyboard problem. I did a Google search only to find out that laptop keyboard problems are a very common thing with almost all versions of Ubuntu, especially version 14.04. I was told there is a Kernel 4.1 that may solve the problem but I do not understand Kernels very well and I fear I may mess things up and will have to start all over a again. I shall find out.

• JordanB
    Yes, I completely understand what you're saying. I couldn't get Ubuntu to work properly on my old laptop either. That's why I gave up and installed Lubuntu. Zero problems with Lubuntu. Your mileage may vary. Good luck.
  • Prototyper

Thanks.