Brand New Aspire XC-603G (ACX-603G-UW31). Windows 7 will not install in Legacy Mode

2»

Answers

• persius
    persius Member Posts: 3 New User

Several programs will make a valid boot block on any USB, CD, DVD media - however, there is NO LEGACY MODE in the shipped UEFI/BIOS for this device.  You are required to PIRATE a hacked version of the BIOS and downgrade to that, just in order to boot something like Linux, Windows 7, FreeBSD, etc.

Acer has a problem here.  @ Snuffy - M$ is very touchy about changing hardware, but M$ does not rule my life, my customers lives, or this world.  You can NOT use Rufus USB Maker and boot anything aside from M$ Windows 8.1 on this device.  I dislike Microsoft operating systems and choose to purchase hardware from vendors that permit me to MAKE THE CHOICE of what operating system I would like to use, or install pursuant to my own customer needs.

Why are we embedding keys in BIOS to lock the consumer into a single-vendor OS / platform?  That's unethical.  Get real here, piracy is not the problem - unethical business practices are, and Acer is on the top of this list now that they are in bed with Microsoft with this scheme.  Also, the entire purpose of UEFI was to "secure" boot sectors and operating systems, however, Microsoft has required vendors that distribute Winodws 8.1 to implement those features.  Here, we see Acer taking the next step and intentionally REMOVING the "Legacy" mode, completely preventing the consumer choice.  Good luck with that - this is why we have antitrust laws, and businesses like Acer and Microsoft have no problem with just paying the fees for violating them because their profits usually exceed those fees.

Thanks, but the consumers are right and Acer should have never removed the Legacy Mode.

• Kyler
    Kyler Member Posts: 66

Tinkerer

I'm pretty sure Acer-Blayn was saying the limitation is with the CPU, which is Intel and not Acer. Do other companies offer systems with Bay Trail-d processors that can legacy boot?

• hollafront1314
    hollafront1314 Member Posts: 1 New User

i tried flashing but im getting errors..can you please show me how..thank you so much

• Snuffy
    Snuffy Member Posts: 150 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Have you tried to change the CSM from never - that is suppose to be LEGACY MODE. and make sure the BOOT MEDIA is Legacy and MBR and Not UEFI & GPT
  • VonDeath
    VonDeath Member Posts: 1 New User
    It seems that Acer has let the buyer down, not realizing that we are the people that keep them in business. Not supporting legacy in the bios, and forcing people to only use the operating system that they choose is an Apple tatic. I am just curious what kind of a discount Microsoft gave you Acer by only letting people use the latest operating system? Sorry I am feeling a little bitter right now, I work IT for doctors, and their online medical records program only works on Windows 7 with IE 10. When a computer went down today I needed a quick replacement and picked up an Acer with Windows 10. I thought I'd swap the drives, update the drivers, and be good to go like all other systems in the past. Only I got to take the hit for this travesty, and now personally own this  wannabe Apple box. Since I opened it up to add the SSD, I can't return it anymore.
    Well Acer I purchase about 50 systems a year for clients, and your systems have just been blacklisted with my company, and I'm sure also by many more people in the future. I hope the extra couple dollars saved from Microsoft makes up for the lost computer sales you will experiance. If I want to be told what I can and can't do, I would ask God, but when it comes to computers, even God would agree that preventing people from choice is an underhanded ploy. It has not worked for iMac's and it will not work for you. Just giving you my honest opinion, but I am sure someone will take fault with what I have to say. I wish you Acer the best of luck in their future you're going to need it if you keep this up.