Acer Aspire M3910 WIndows 10 Upgrade

Leyte
Leyte Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 1 in 2019 Archives

I have a Acer Aspire M3910 with Windows 7 and the Acer eRecovery Management feature to restore the OS back to factory settings.  With Windows 10 coming out, I was considering upgrading to it but was worried that if I upgraded, I might lose my eRecovery Management backup feature.

Question:  If I upgrade to Windows 10, will I lose my eRecovery Management and the backup factory Windows 7 settings?  The last thing I want to do is upgrade to Windows 10, hate it and then not have my eRecovery partition with the factory Windows 7 setup?

Thanks...

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

you can try to preserve it, deleting only the windows 7 partition but since windows 10 uses GPT instead of MBR, you will loose the ALT+F10 recovery function at boot.

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly

You can revert back to windows 7 creating Acer erecovery DVD or USB flash drive, just use Acer erecovery software and follow instructions on creating recovery drives.

if after testing windows 10, you will want to revert to windows 7, you will simply need to wipe your HDD and use the DVDs/USB flash drive to re-install windows 7 from factory.

• Leyte

Yes, I was aware of creating a recovery CD but was hoping that I could preserve the Windows 7 partition setup that came as default.  I guess when installing WIndows 10, it will overwrite both partitions, yes?

• IronFly
    Answer ✓

you can try to preserve it, deleting only the windows 7 partition but since windows 10 uses GPT instead of MBR, you will loose the ALT+F10 recovery function at boot.

• Leyte

I think I'll stick with Windows 7 and not mess with my eRecovery partition.  Thus far, it has been a life saver to me.  Windows 10 is not that important to me anyway.

Thanks for all your help.

• IronFly

You welcome. Smiley Happy

• CarnegieJ
    CarnegieJ Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter

I am helping a friend that has an Acer Aspire M3910. The first ten characters of the S/N are PTSDX02092.

I am seeking advice on recovery and upgrades. (i.e. P/N's for recovery DVD/USB, RAM modules to max to 16GB, Windows 10 O/S, etc)

Unfortunately, my friend did not create an Acer recovery DVD when first purchased and now the computer will not boot into Windows (continous boot loop of "Setting up Windows" and no Safe Mode boot works).  I can boot the machine with a Linux utility bootable thumbdrive.  The hardware tests run from the Linux boot thumbdrive have good results.

Any tips or suggestions?

-- CJ

• 300hitter
    300hitter Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have an Acer Aspire x3910 with Windows 10 home 1709 installed. Windows tec support has determined that 1803,1809, 1903 will not update to this model.
    Will I be able to restore to factory windows 7 ?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    If you are in the USA or Canada you can purchase the recovery image in Acer's store. If you are outside those countries you have to contact support in order to order the image.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.