Tc-120 w AMD Radeon HD 8670D

Options
CrimsonFox
CrimsonFox Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
Help please. The creators update for Windows 10 happened and not my desktop has black screen of death again

It black screens at safe mode too but if I wait for the hourglass to stop I can open control panel but often things spin infinitely. I can use command mode and can start control panel then

How do I fix this. My driver for video says and Radeon HD 8670d

It wants to keep putting this in place
In 2015 when I got it I had a black screen from Windows 8.1

I fixed it by using the and VGA driver.
That driver is still in mydownliad directory plus I have a zip of my updated AMD VGA driver there. But just doing easy things like zip are impossible. I can't seem to install a new driver unless I'm doing it wrong. But that 8670 seems to be garbage.

If anyone can help please walk me thru step by step.

Answers

• doughjohn
    doughjohn Member Posts: 353 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Options

Hi

Is it possible to connect the HDMI output to something like a Television as well as your keeping your monitor connected?

There is an update to your BIOS if you haven't already installed it.

But the drivers are here...  https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/support-product/5409?b=1 (possibly wrong country selected).

If possible download and install Piriform Speccy and Belarc Adviser and run them to establish exactly what your machine is and has installed.  Print out for future reference if possible.

Here is something at tomshardware  

co.uk/forum/id-3205362/stop-win-update-installing-bad-graphics-driver.html  - that may help.

• CrimsonFox

Tinkerer

Options

update: nothing has really changed.

I have been able to get into safe mode KIND of if I wait long enough.

I click in the black and then i click in the bar at the bottom which has a spinning blue cursor then back to the black. Then after awhile my icons appear at the bottom for chrome steam, file explorer pdf. I can open a browser and file explorer.

However...if ever I try to open file explorer or any folder and use it, after a very short time it hangs and the blue circle cursor spins some more for awhile. I just have to let it go for about 15 minutes. Same with right clicking.

However I CAN right click at the bottom right near the time and get a menu where i can make the desktop its own menu. Then and only then can I get to programs and the control panel.

Cortana and the start menu and windows settings do not work at all.

I finally found that the Acer Care Center app is telling me that I need the bios upgrade. I open the program in safe mode. (nothing really works except my background pic in regular mode)

When I click upgrade to 4 it just says WAITING...

I let it go for a long time and that never changed. Never did anything. Now I see several posts here in these forums that the TC-120 bios upgrade has ruined people's computers. I'm terrified now.

But my computer is still screwed Smiley Sad

When this first happened (BSOD) with WIndows 8.1 I was told by support that this was fixable...here we are...same problem...never was really fixed. And now acer support won't help me. Smiley Sad

Now will their 3rd party system Smiley Sad

So like whenever windows update updates it puts this driver in place for the vidcard and that doesn't work. Acer itself lists the AMD_VGA driver is what I should use. THat worked last time.

But here's the other problem. I can uninstall and delete the driver. I can download the AMDVGA...but I can't seem to install that. Not even running from safe mode as admin. When the catalyst program comes up and i hit install it gives the message that it can't detect the device driver or something. I've seen other forums talk about cleaning off drivers with tools and also just downloading drivers directly and installing them. But I'm running the setup program that came with the AMD driver. The onboard one (201) which is the version acer suggests.

So many issues and I don't know what to do Smiley Sad

• CrimsonFox

Tinkerer

Options

So I FINALLY got it working again. I SLOWLY uploaded everything on the PC to Google Drive. And then I did a complete operating system reset (with saving all files)

It worked.

I was worried that it would load windows 8.1 onto it as that is what it came with.

But it went straight to 10. THEN it immediately said "I see you need updates. Let's take care of that." 

That didn't sound good. But when all was finished it totally came up and worked. THen I reinstalled my correct video display driver and it also worked perfectly. That wouldn't load in safe mode at all.

the catalyst thing.

So things work again. It is at the creator's update.

But this whole thing was disapointing. Acer support really doesn't seem to care. I just wish they did.

And I wish these PCs they put out...they would make more driver updates to fix these issues and get them into microsoft updates so that things could more fix themselves.

I guess for me perhaps it was the combination of this weird PCs hardware + an update that didn't exactly do what the hardware expected but given a total refresh it put everything in the right place.