Sound Card

aasp
aasp Member Posts: 7 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I just purchased an XC-780.  It fits my needs but falls short of my desire to have better sound.  Cabling the PC to a AV receiver using RCA technology does not provide decent sound quality.  

The sound card I have used in another computer is the correct type for the available slot by its post is too long to fit within the computer case.

Will appreciate if someone knows of a good quality sound card tht will fit in the XC-780 case.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

which model/brand is your AV receiver?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • aasp

Onkyo TX-NR646 7.2-Channel Network A/V Receiver

• aasp

IronFly,  thank you for jogging my mind.  I think I might have the solution.

Since I cannot use a digital optical cable from a sound card to the AVR as I did in a former PC, I can use the HDMI cable now installed from the computer to the monitor and cable it to the AVR to obtain sound.  And, instead of using a complete HDMI cable from the computer to the monitor, I can use a cable with a DVI on one end from the computer and a HDMI on the other to the monitor.

Does this make sense?  If so, I will buy this type of cable.

• aasp

I should have looked at the XC-780 before talking about a DVI.   The back of the Pc does not have a DVI port.

Back to square one.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

your PC has an HDMI and a DP port, nothing else.

you can buy any low profile Asus Xonarm card that has an optical output, in my opinion; even the cheapest, since all the D/A conversion will be done by your Onkyo.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • aasp

Thank you.  I will check it out.