Has anyone successfully upgraded Aspire V3-771G to Windows 10?

winston
winston Member Posts: 8 New User

I have an Acer Aspire V3-771G laptop running Windows 8.1 and registered for Windows 10 upgrade. I got "Critical hardware components made by Intel for your PC don’t have drivers for Windows 10 yet. Contact Intel for more information." from the Get Windows 10 app. However, when I clicked "Check your PC" under "Getting the upgrade" on the same app, the result tells me, "You're good to go! Your PC will work with Windows 10". I have no clue as to which Intel component on my Aspire that requires a Windows 10 compatible driver(s). I checked the drivers listed by Acer and it "seems" that my Intel drivers are up to date. I badly need advise on what I need to do to make my Aspire ready for upgrade.

Answers

• Markio
    Markio Member Posts: 11 New User

Uninstall all drivers and perform an upgrade to Windows 10 using this tool: 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/software-download/windows10

When the installation being started, under "Choose what to keep" select the option "Nothing (everything will be deleted, including apps, files and settings)"

• Borad
    Borad Member Posts: 1 New User

There's nothing you can do but wait as far as I could tell. I got the same message as you:

windows-10-not-ready.jpg

As it says, it's recommended that you upgrade after you get your notification that it's ready for your PC. I don't know what form the notification comes in but I assume you won't see the above "wait" notice when it's ready. "Critical hardware components made by Intel for your PC don’t have drivers for Windows 10 yet." I'd just assume that's true and that we should wait longer. But I don't know the odds of the proper drivers ever being available. At some point, maybe a month from now, it may be worth posting here or searching that site for the latest complaints to see what people are doing about it. For now I wouldn't risk trying an untimely manual install like some people have done. I assume it wouldn't work well for those who've received the above message.

• winston
    winston Member Posts: 8 New User

Thanks for your advice. That's probably a prudent thing to do. I noticed the message from Get windows 10 is changing (no longer display the "Critical hardware ...") which hopefully means that Microsoft hasn't forgotten us :-)

• sveins12
    sveins12 Member Posts: 1 New User

I got a notification from Microsoft that said my PC (Aspire V3-771G) was ready. I clicked the button and the PC was upgraded. After the upgrade the WiFi didn't work. To fix this problem I went to the Device Manager and uninstalled the Qualcomm Atheros AR5BWB222 Wireless Network Adapter. Then I right-clicked Network adapters and selected "Scan for hardware changes". The network adapter immediately appeared again and the WiFi was now working.

After upgrading I saw on Acer's list that Windows 10 is not supported for this computer model. However Windows 10 seems to work.

So now I wonder why the Aspire V3-771G is not supported by Acer, and if it ever will. Could someone at Acer please kindly answer this?