Aspire TC-605 refuses to software restart

RetiredTech
RetiredTech Member Posts: 1 New User

Aspire ATC-605-UR2S

BIOS: P11-A3L

Windows 7 SP1 with updates

I replaced the Motherboard which had a burned spot (smoked and stunk) due to a short in a USB cable. The refurbished motherboard (direct from China) via Newegg works perfectly with 2 exceptions: 1) It failed to restart during the new install of Windows 7 (several restarts were required). Powered off by holding the power button down and manually restarting got me through the install. It continues to do this every time it needs a software restart. This includes a restart after BIOS update.

2) I tried to repace the BIOS with a newer version but this MOBO has version P11-A3L (L standing for Linux) and that version can only be installed using a USB - Dos boot. After preparing a USB bootable drive with Free-DOS, the computer refuses to see the DOS operating system when I hit F12 and select the correct USB boot drive. It then skips right past it booting into Windows 7 off the hard drive. When I choose the P11-B4 version (no L on the end) which uses a Windows boot to perform the BIOS upgrade, it says I have the wrong version and that the existing BIOS ID does not match. BIOS settings for the install were correctly adjusted per the AMI install pdf accompanying the BIOS download.

I have replaced the Power Supply thinking that might have been and issue, but it did not cure the problem.

I need help from someone at Acer that has had experience with these issues. Could this be a bad Motherboard?

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

What did you figure out?

Did you send the mainboard back to newegg?

Did you find a mainboard that would work with Windows (a non L version)?

Or did you gamble and try to force flash with recovery procedure?

I'm not an Acer employee.