Aspire TC-605 BIOS HELP!!!

iiKryptic
iiKryptic Member Posts: 9 New User
edited March 2023 in 2016 Archives

Hello all, I am in need of some serious help. Yesterday while updating my PC  I was looking at the Acer website and saw a BIOS update for my model. I downloaded and it looked very confusing to me. I decided not to update, later my uncle came over and said he knew how to do it. Long story short after he was done my Acer wont boot, I press the power button, I get one short beep, HDD lights blinks for a second and than just black screen. Anyone with any help much appreciated.   SYSTEM SPECS: Aspire TC-605-UR2S   Windows 10 pro  Asus GT 630

Best Answer

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓

Like I said previously, if you originally had Windows 7, then your BIOS was in legacy mode (secure boot disabled, launch csm set to "always".

So you need to go in to BIOS settings and disable secure boot and change "launch csm" to always.  Or a bare minimum disable secure boot.  It might possibly work with Launch CSM set to never, but I don't think so.

The link below explains it all.  You can use P11.B4, but P11.B4 is for computers that came pre-installed with Windows 8,8.1 and 10........but since your computer came pre-installed with Windows 7 you have to understand the difference between legacy mode and default EFI mode, and you have to understand the difference between an MBR partition style vs a GPT partition style if you want to use P11.B4 on a computer that came pre-installed with Windows 7.  If you don't understand those things, then it's best for you to use P21.xx.

http://acer--uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27071/~/how-to-enable-or-disable-secure-boot

You can re-install Windows 10 in EFI mode, which would be much more secure, but you have to completely wipe your drive first if you want to do that.

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• JordanB

Have your uncle try these steps (since your PC originally came pre-installed with Windows 7):

1.  Remove your graphics card

2. Turn on your computer and try to access the BIOS (press the delete key at the Acer screen)

3.  If you can access the BIOS settings, disable "secure boot" and set "launch csm to always".

4.  Press F10 to save/exit

5.  If your computer works now, you can shut it down and reinstall the graphics card (don't forget to reconnect the video cable to the graphics card output).

• iiKryptic

Thank you for the reply. I did what you said,and nothing has changed. Just sits not doing anything. I cannot reach the BIOS, and there is no boot screen. Is there anyway to reflash the BIOS? Did he do it wrong or pick the wrong one?

• JordanB

More than likely he did it wrong.

The BIOS package consists of a ROM folder, a Win folder, and a README file.  If he didn't read and follow the instructions in the pdf README file, then I think your mainboard is permanently bricked.

You can take it to a computer repair shop and have them replace the mainboard.

Or you can call Acer for in-Warranty or Out-of Warranty options.

Just to be sure, you did remember to connect the video cable to the onboard VGA or HDMI output when you removed the graphics card?

• JordanB

My posts in link below have more information.

https://community.acer.com/t5/Aspire-Desktops/Fix-failed-acer-tc-605-bios-flash/td-p/439805

But whatever you do, don't buy the mainboard in the link below from Newegg as it will not work with Windows.  The board below only works with Linpus.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA63939Y0145&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC-_-pla-_-Accessories+-+Motherboards-_-9SIA63939Y0145&gclid=CN_B4bDwuc0CFdcTgQod3sQP-g&gclsrc=aw.ds

• iiKryptic

Okay we have some good news, I was apparently able to flash via USB. My system originally shipped with win7 pro,so I reflashed with 2.Xx firmware. It boots up,KINDA, Idont have the Acer splash screen. I can hit delete to get into Bios.._but my hdd does not boot. Gives message no bootable disk found insert and press any key. This is a win10 upgrade. Did I flash the wrong bios? Any thoughts?

• JordanB
    Answer ✓

Like I said previously, if you originally had Windows 7, then your BIOS was in legacy mode (secure boot disabled, launch csm set to "always".

So you need to go in to BIOS settings and disable secure boot and change "launch csm" to always.  Or a bare minimum disable secure boot.  It might possibly work with Launch CSM set to never, but I don't think so.

The link below explains it all.  You can use P11.B4, but P11.B4 is for computers that came pre-installed with Windows 8,8.1 and 10........but since your computer came pre-installed with Windows 7 you have to understand the difference between legacy mode and default EFI mode, and you have to understand the difference between an MBR partition style vs a GPT partition style if you want to use P11.B4 on a computer that came pre-installed with Windows 7.  If you don't understand those things, then it's best for you to use P21.xx.

http://acer--uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27071/~/how-to-enable-or-disable-secure-boot

You can re-install Windows 10 in EFI mode, which would be much more secure, but you have to completely wipe your drive first if you want to do that.

• iiKryptic

Okay I changed those bios settings win10 starts to load and than crashes with blue screen of death.

• JordanB

You definitely need to disable secure boot.  But.....

Try it with Launch CSM set to "Always"

Try it with Launch CSM set to "never"

• iiKryptic

I did disable secure boot, I will toggle csm now and report back.

• iiKryptic

Set CSM to always was a big no,no. I am back to no bios posting. I am going to attempt to recreate whatever I did to flash it this time using 11.4

• JordanB

Do you have your graphics card installed?  Be careful with the flashing.  You're playing with fire.

It might be safer to disconnect power cable from your hard drive and see if you can access BIOS.

• iiKryptic

Okay so I am back up and running again, Windows 10 still crashes on boot, but I can boot into safe mode.

• iiKryptic

Everything is back up and running like a dream. I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for sticking with me on this. I would have never been able to do it with out you.

• JordanB

You're welcome. 

• Araforn
    Araforn Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi there.

Tonight I find myself in exactly the same position you were in. I updated the bios as was promoted by Acer but something must have went wrong because I can only boot to a black screen.

I have no access to the bios. Can you please let me know the steps you took to get your computer back up and running.

Any help would be hugely appreciated. Thanks in advance.