Aspire TC-280 new video card

PC_Confused
PC_Confused Member Posts: 21 Networker
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I have the Acer Aspire TC-280 PC, that I just purchased.  It shows two video outlet ports, one was HDML (which I don't need) and the other one was a VGA outlet.  I would like to run two monitors (one VGA and one DVI) so I thought I could use the video card out of my old dead PC.  The card is a GeForce 8400 GS PCI Express 2.0 Graphics Card.  I installed the video card in the only PCI slot and when I turned on the PC, neither screen would work.

I've checked the NVIDUA website and they show a driver for this PCI card that should work with Windows 10 64-bit.  I tried to find the "You Tube" tutorials for the Aspire tc-280, but didn't find any help.  Could it be I have to somehow reset that magnetic switch, to show the case had been opened?

What am I missing or will this PCI card not work with this PC?

Best Answer

• PC_Confused
    Answer ✓

Well I've not been able to get my graphics card to work.  The Community doesn't seem to have an answer either.  So tonight I tried using the support chat line.  I was number 7 in line and estimate time was about 18 minutes.  After about a 15 minute wait and I was down to number 1 in line, a message came up that there was no representatives available try again later, and the chat window closes. 

So much for ACER support....

thread closed

Answers

• PC_Confused

From the GeForce 8400 GS Community, I've been told that this video card should work with this ACER PC.  A few things I was told to check in the BIOS was:

1.  Disable integrated graphics

2.  Disable secure boot

3.  Enable CSM

4.  Set launch video oprom to legacy

I've gone into the BIOS and can't find any of these options.  Am I missing something?  They also mentioned that I should make sure I am getting power to the video card?  Shouldn't plugging into the PCI slot provide power?

Still confused.

• PC_Confused
    Answer ✓

Well I've not been able to get my graphics card to work.  The Community doesn't seem to have an answer either.  So tonight I tried using the support chat line.  I was number 7 in line and estimate time was about 18 minutes.  After about a 15 minute wait and I was down to number 1 in line, a message came up that there was no representatives available try again later, and the chat window closes. 

So much for ACER support....

thread closed

• PC_Confused

As my final chapter, I was finally able to get in touch with support chat.  It seems that this Aspire TC-280 is more of an "E" machine than a regular PC.  You can't add another hard drive and much to my dismay, you can't add a Graphics card.  Even though it comes with a HDML port and VGA port, I can only get the VGA port to work.  It was suggested by the EVGA forum that I needed to change a few BIOS options, to get the graphics card to work.  I was told by support that those BIOS options are locked so I can't make changes.

Looks like the Aspire TC-280 is just an email reader..